15 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 25,725 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

Found this original art at an estate sale: It's about 18x24 inches. On the back is pencil sketch of someone wearing an M1 helmet.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

#2 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 25,725 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:49 PM

d.jpg

f.jpg

#3 Jay V

Jay V
  • Members
    • Member ID: 564
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

Sir

That's really nice,maybe get it framed?

#4 ludwigh1980

ludwigh1980
  • Members
    • Member ID: 23,325
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:18 PM

Just a thought , styling looks Japanese, perhaps produced by a Japanese pow? Just a thought....

#5 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 04:44 AM

Bob, Very nice piece of art showing the blue version of the white hat and the flat hat (Donald Duck).

Do you know anything about the sailor's service?

#6 phantomfixer

phantomfixer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 155,518
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:07 AM

my first thought was oriental influence also....in the facial features and colors..

dig the coiled wire coming from the air to ground rocket..(HVAR)....helps date the painting/sketch to mid to late 44 at the earliest...

Edited by phantomfixer, 26 November 2017 - 06:11 AM.

#7 huntssurplus

huntssurplus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 165,862
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

This is really cool! I definitely think it should be framed, thanks for sharing. 

Hunt

#8 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

I agree about possible oriental artist with that very unique style...love it!......mike

#9 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 25,725 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:13 AM

dig the coiled wire coming from the air to ground rocket..(HVAR)....helps date the painting/sketch to mid to late 44 at the earliest...

You got it with the dates. I didn't have a name for this, but today I used the estate sale address to start some research and found the name of the sailor: he enlisted in 1942, went aboard the carrier USS Bennington CV 20 in Sept 1944 and served on her until his discharge in Feb 1946. 

And good guess on my part: he was an Aviation Ordnanceman (I wasn't certain just looking at the painting, but I was pretty sure those were air-to-ground missiles).

I don't know what he did after the war, but he must have been good at it. I found references to him being active in a Newport Beach CA yacht club, and hosting charity balls. The house is worth $2.8 million.

His grandparents were early Los Angeles residents and invested in real estate, according to newspaper articles found online.

#10 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 25,725 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

I agree about possible oriental artist with that very unique style...love it!......mike

Here's a closeup of the pencil sketch on the back. Was it a job that didn't get finished or just a practice piece? Whichever, the artist felt the need to recycle the paper, which would seem to add to the Asian origin.

back-cu.jpg

#11 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 25,725 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:23 AM

So I guess the question is, did the Bennington make any port calls in Asia? The Bennington kept busy during this sailors Sept 44 to Feb 46 tour:

"She took part in the strikes against the Japanese home islands (16 – 17 February and 25 February), Volcano Islands (18 February – 4 March), Okinawa (1 March), and the raids in support of the Okinawa campaign (18 March – 11 June). On 7 April, Bennington's planes participated in the attacks on the Japanese task force moving through the East China Sea toward Okinawa, which resulted in the sinking of the battleship Yamatolight cruiser Yahagi, and four destroyers. On 5 June, the carrier was damaged by a typhoon off Okinawa and retired to Leyte for repairs, arriving on 12 June. Her repairs completed, Bennington left Leyte on 1 July, and from 10 July – 15 August took part in the aerial raids on the Japanese home islands.

She continued operations in the western Pacific, supporting the occupation of Japan until 21 October. On 2 September, her planes participated in the mass flight over Missouri and Tokyo during the surrender ceremonies. Bennington arrived at San Francisco on 7 November, and early in March 1946 transited the Panama Canal en route to Norfolk, Virginia."

#12 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 25,725 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

There was a cartoonist aboard the Bennington at that time - here's one his signed pieces. It's kind of close in style.

daugh-1.jpg

daugh-2.jpg

daugh-3.jpg

#13 Jim MacDonald

Jim MacDonald
  • Members
    • Member ID: 25,603
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:07 AM

I don't really buy the Asian origin. I've seen quite a few squadron histories that have some darn good artwork and or caricatures of squadron member that were drawn by squadron members. I would imagine that a carrier would have many talented artists aboard. Also, the details of the bomb, bomb trolley and rockets are pretty much dead on. I can't imagine a sailor taking the time to look over the shoulder of a civilian or POW artist who has never seen those items and saying "nope, you need to put a line here and a curve there" to make the drawing so accurate.

Just my two cents.

Mac

#14 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:00 AM

Good points....mike

#15 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 25,725 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

Good points....mike

yep - an artist who wasn't on the ship would not have been able to do that kind of detail(i.e. the wires on the rockets) - and the more I look at the cartoon signed Daugherty, I'm convinced he's the artist of my piece too: both drawing have very straight wide-spaced lines for the hair and similar lines for shading. Notice too the very blunt nose. 

daugh-4.jpg

#16 kfields

kfields
  • Members
    • Member ID: 60
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:43 PM

Probably my imagination but when you look at the image of the guy doing all the work in the middle, looking at the left of the box in his left hand where it looks like there are some random pencil marks, are there initials there?

Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users