Generation Kill

huntssurplus

Hello all, I don't know how many of you have seen the HBO miniseries "Generation Kill" but I thought this was a good one.

Generation Kill is based off of a book written by a Rolling Stones reporter who was with 1st Recon Battalion during 2003 and the invasion of Iraq. Now unlike Band of Brothers and The Pacific, Generation Kill is a lot more comedic and less of a Drama.

Right off the bat, i'm gonna say how much I liked this miniseries. Even though it was only 7 episodes instead of the 10 BoB and The Pacific had, I feel that anymore of these would have made the series kind of boring.

The series does not include any backstory for any of the characters which is something I liked as the entire series it is from the perspective of the reporter. A lot of the series focuses on the inside of the lead Humvee where the reporter, Iceman, Ray, and Trombley are the main characters. There is also Hasser who is in the turret position so we don't see too much of him but he is still there. Lieutenant Fick is also a very important character and we see a lot of him during other scenes of the series. Now there are a lot of other great characters too but there are way too many to list.

Now if you are looking for a series all about combat Generation Kill is not the series for you. It focuses more on the Marines and there personalities rather then a lot of actual gritty combat like you see in BoB and the Pacific. it keeps in line with what really happened which was more smaller skirmishes rather then large crazy battles, keep in mind this was Iraq so big huge battles like during WW2 didn't happen as often and the war saws fought differently.

Now going back to characters, I liked all of them there were no bad characters unless they were supposed to be bad and annoying. I really liked all of the main characters in the Humvee with the reporter as well as all of the other characters. Again in my opinion there were no bad characters.

Now for historical accuracy. I am going to say right now from what I know, Generation Kill is very historically accurate. From the events and what actually took place to just how the Marines acted it really lined up. Now I am not an expert on the Marine Corps or the invasion of Iraq. I also have not served, yet, so I am not 100% sure but from what I have heard Generation Kill is very accurate.

I'm gonna say it right now, I don't have any real criticisms for this series. I thought it was extremely well done as HBO usually does with it's miniseries.

In conclusion, Generation Kill is a really REALLY good miniseries that I HIGHLY recommend to anyone looking for something to do, it is 470 minutes long total so it should give you about 7.8 hours of fun, comedy, and just an overall great experience.

I give this series a 9.5/10. It really is that good and you should watch it if you have HBO.

Thanks for taking the time to read this review, I am interested in what you thought of this miniseries.

Hunt