Met with a USMCWR vet last week, 100 years old!

ScottG

Here is Jeanne "Allen" Callihan of Tecumseh MI. I interviewed her last week at the farm she still lives on. She is 100 and lives alone on a 160 acre family farmstead with her Daughter living on an adjoining 60 acre lot. Her mind is sharp as a tack and it as really great to get to talk to her.

She joined in 44 and was stationed at Camp Lejuene and Quantico. She was a truck driver and while at Quantico she met and married her Husband "JT" who had served in the 4th Marine Div. in Cuba, Saipan and Tinian. I picked up both Jeanne and her Husbands uniforms and other items for my museum here in Michigan. Here are some of Jeanne's items. Scott

post-104832-0-81290600-1511586879_thumb.jpg

post-104832-0-80813900-1511586921_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Here is Jeanne "Allen" Callihan of Tecumseh MI. I interviewed her last week at the farm she still lives on. She is 100 and lives alone on a 160 acre family farmstead with her Daughter living on an adjoining 60 acre lot. Her mind is sharp as a tack and it as really great to get to talk to her.

She joined in 44 and was stationed at Camp Lejuene and Quantico. She was a truck driver and while at Quantico she met and married her Husband "JT" who had served in the 4th Marine Div. in Cuba, Saipan and Tinian. I picked up both Jeanne and her Husbands uniforms and other items for my museum here in Michigan. Here are some of Jeanne's items. Scott

Hi Scott, well done in adding this ladies uniform to your museum. equally or more amazing is, I find it hard to see 73 years have past between the two photos you show of this lady. Semper fi

lewis.

That is amazing, absolutely the best thing I have read this week. Thank you for sharing her story with us.

If you get a chance to talk to her again, keep asking questions, You might ask her if she remembered any tricks or tips she learned while driving in the Marines; first hand information like that is always interesting and goes a long way to understanding the jobs these men and women did so well.

That is amazing, absolutely the best thing I have read this week. Thank you for sharing her story with us.

If you get a chance to talk to her again, keep asking questions, You might ask her if she remembered any tricks or tips she learned while driving in the Marines; first hand information like that is always interesting and goes a long way to understanding the jobs these men and women did so well.

It's funny you mention tricks or tips in driving. She said that one of her jobs was to ferry engineers to a drop off point in her truck. From there the engineers would load into larger trucks to travel off road to the work site. She said that she thought of this often as the larger trucks came from the same motor pool as hers and that they all met there in the morning with the engineers. She said that to this day she cannot figure out why the USMC didn't just load the engineers into the large trucks at the motor pool and drive straight out in one trip!

She also insisted that she had her summer uniforms which her Daughter denied. Funny thing was, when she pushed the issue we found the summer caps, the hbt cap, 4 khaki caps and a set of cutter tagged leggings. So, I bet she has those summer uniforms.

Glad you liked the post! Scott

Great story, did she and JT have any kids who served in the Corps?

None that she mentioned, her Daughter was a teacher and has a twin but no service at all was mentioned. Scott

A super cool picture of "JT". Scott

Back in the day there was an expression in the Corps referring to turning out for inspection in "Dress blues, tennis shoes and a light coat of oil". Never heard or saw dress blues and a pith helmet! Great photo! Semper Fi.....