Patience pays off: Cartridge Belt

thorin6

It's marked Burlington Mills Inc. over 1942 on the inside. I'm not sure what the gray coating is on the male catch, but it's non-ferrous.

post-11546-0-04205600-1511573853_thumb.jpg

Your belt has twice the chance of having an interesting history than a belt that has been together from day one. Even if you'll never know that they are (it is?).

Mikie

Nice match; you saved two halves from being tossed around in spare parts boxes and you can know the Quartermaster would have approved. :) Mismatched belts weren't uncommon in active duty units, where one side was made by one company, and the other side a different company. As long as they could get a 'close' match, it was ready for issue. The different buckles make it more interesting anyway.

Nice match; you saved two halves from being tossed around in spare parts boxes and you can know the Quartermaster would have approved. :) Mismatched belts weren't uncommon in active duty units, where one side was made by one company, and the other side a different company. As long as they could get a 'close' match, it was ready for issue. The different buckles make it more interesting anyway.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. In hand, you can see that the weave on both halves is close, but different, and I'm sure that if it ended up this way in the field, it wouldn't have turned a head (or caused a problem during inspection).

Also, I've never seen a buckle coated in the gray finish; has anyone else seen one like this, and what is the coating anyway?

Yes agree with Ron, the grey buckle is simply the alloy version that replaced the brass type. I would not doubt that the two got mixed for a while at the factory, or at least in the QMC salvage and repair depots.

That said, I have seen some early WWII pistol belts where the brass buckles have a matte silver coating on them. Almost like either the blackening or japanning did not come out, or another technique was used.

Big dittoes on that. Mixed Ammo Belts are a long-time "tradition"; that's really neat that you snagged the other half

in short order!

Below is an "L.C. Chase" and a "Long", both of late W.W.I vintage.

post-3226-0-22212500-1511889853_thumb.jpg