What is it? 1920s Meyer Wing? T P 1717

cwnorma

As is my practice, I generally refrain from discussing on-going auctions. Now that this one is over, I thought it would be worthwhile to discuss this very interesting badge:

post-594-0-42499300-1511542827_thumb.jpg

post-594-0-93587700-1511542839_thumb.jpg

What the heck is it?!?

From what I can see, based on construction, findings, etc, it appears to be a 1920s Meyer-made piece. After that I am at a loss. What is "T" and "P" for? "1717?"

When was this well-made badge worn? What for?

Looking forward to seeing your thoughts!

Chris

Not sure why people will not discuss an ongoing auction, especially if you can stop someone from buying a bogus item.

Not sure what the wing is but the catch looks to be not correct for a wing that old.

Not sure why people will not discuss an ongoing auction, especially if you can stop someone from buying a bogus item.

Not sure what the wing is but the catch looks to be not correct for a wing that old.

Firefighter,

Interesting you would say that. How old is it?

Chris

I would tend to agree with firefighter that it's much later. More likely from the 50's. my sense is that this is a cap badge for a private security or trucking/transportation company. Transit patrol or something along those lines. I have seen the Meyers wing used for various firms over the years. A neat item but IMHO more likely from the 50's and related to a civilian company hat bafde

Other wings similar to this as well as a few I have come across actually were utilized by trucking, transport and delivery Companies in 1930-40's. Apparently they utilized a WW1 style die struck wing and added logo's, initials and drivers numbers. They are sought after some more than others, however they have no military affiliation. I can't say for sure on these however that's what they look like to me. Others have been posted here on the forum.

Like you gentlemen I have often seen similar Meyer-type/made wings, ocassionally with screw backs provisioned for a cap, often with a company name on a bar or arc across the top, and in some cases with an airfield name. This one seems to stand on its own somewhat.

I can't recall however, any of these cap-badges of this type also incorporating the "US" in the shield? Perhaps someone could provide a link or a photo to a similar example bearing that feature?

To my eye, the "US" appears to be the correct size and shape for the WW1 era badges. That is of course meaningless, with respect to era, as Meyer would have been in possession of their dies... Still, I take note of it.

If I were to speculate, my guess would be police-related, with the 1717 being a station or precinct number. But the US on the shield keeps throwing my thoughts in a different direction.

Chris