Just in time for Thanksgiving

jim_mi

I was more referring to the description which is "Polish Commando Diver's Knife."

That, to me sounded like a turkey...

Jim

You may be right. However, I see that the error, if it is that, is repeated in the body of the listing. Seller also mentions that the blade is chromium in the listing.

It was the combination of the Polish, and "divers" description that I found amusing for a relatively common U. S. knife.

Happy Thanksgiving anyway.

Jim

Actually years back when I would occasionally display or sell a few knives at my local gun show. I had a duplicate bright KABAR commando on the table. On two separate times I had different people declare to me that Commando was the vary knife they were issued while attending dive school in North Carolina, (also years apart during the 60's). One of the guys told me that they were taught to apply a coat of grease to the leather to help resist the effects of salt water. Can't vet any of the story, although when I hear the same thing and it appears to originate from different sources it does become more interesting for me.

Yes, I've heard of that practice. They had to do something to preserve the sheaths since leather would deteriorate very quickly in saltwater.

Bottom line is, I already have several Ka-Bar hunting knives of the style but it brings to mind the old saying "buy the knife, not the story" - or in this case, the description.

Jim

Yes for sure stories at the end of the day remain stories, until and only until the stores lead to actual evidence. But than that's one of the reasons why some love collecting, the chance of finding a flake of gold on a muddy bank.

Absolutely. I did find a flake of gold recently in the form of a near mint Herder Commando knife with correct Herder-marked sheath. That's what keeps me digging...

Good hunting.