WWII LT M1 Helmet with Interesting Camo Paint Job and Insignia?

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

Hey guys, what is the deal with this helmet? It is named on both the liner and shell. It is super salty. It is a FS/FB with a heat stamp of 161(?) so its real early. The liner is an IMP. The long chinstrap on the shell has its hardware cut off. The short chinstrap was hanging on by a thread and unfortunately fell off but is still with the helmet. The most interesting thing about this set is the black "camo" paint job. Its hard to see in low light but with a flash, you can really see the pattern. The shell and liner both have an LT bar that is covered by a large painted square.

Has anyone seen a lid like this before? Whats the deal with the black camo and the big square? Thanks guys!

post-131595-0-77157900-1511206272_thumb.jpg

Awesome set, Tyler. Interesting insignia on the front.

Is it black paint or discoloration from cooking/ heating for field use? I have seen many, and have one in my collection that is not quite as salty as this, of repaint on the top portion only to cover the paint loss and discoloration from heating for field use.

- Andy

stealthytyler

Awesome set, Tyler. Interesting insignia on the front.

Is it black paint or discoloration from cooking/ heating for field use? I have seen many, and have one in my collection that is not quite as salty as this, of repaint on the top portion only to cover the paint loss and discoloration from heating for field use.

- Andy

I think it is black paint... let me take a loop to it and post more pictures tonight.

4 Hi Tyler, I dont have any history on it unfortunately. It is named to a Sgt Sila or Silva, theres a faded partial serial number on the nape strap that could possibly match the one on the chin strap but thats all I have. Ray post-140227-0-21399100-1511289805_thumb.jpeg

Interesting helmet, I have a similar one with black paint however they are in much small specks.

I don't have any pictures right now but I can get some if you want.

Hunt

When I was growing up, our neighbor was a USMC vet who lost a leg at the Chosin Reservoir. He gave me his helmet, which was of WW2 vintage with a Hawley liner. The exterior was painted black. He said they wore their camo covers in daylight, but removed them for night patrols.

post-9787-0-48405600-1511368594_thumb.jpg

stealthytyler

When I was growing up, our neighbor was a USMC vet who lost a leg at the Chosin Reservoir. He gave me his helmet, which was of WW2 vintage with a Hawley liner. The exterior was painted black. He said they wore their camo covers in daylight, but removed them for night patrols.

Very interesting! Thanks for the photo! Would you mind sharing a few photos of your helmet? Thanks!

I'd be happy to if I can find and scan the images, which are 35mm from the pre-digital era. It was passed on to a fellow collector several years ago, when he was putting together a Korean War USMC impression for a mannequin.

stealthytyler

I'd be happy to if I can find and scan the images, which are 35mm from the pre-digital era. It was passed on to a fellow collector several years ago, when he was putting together a Korean War USMC impression for a mannequin.

Oh, ok. Well I look forward to seeing it. Thanks!

Burning Hazard

Very interesting, I've seen a handful of M1 helmets that had similar dull black-type paint applied, always thought of them as being post-war kiddie applied.