23rd Infantry Division "Americal Division" Helmet Cover

Frogskin7

I bought this Helmet cover a month ago thinking that it was a 1st Marine Division Helmet Cover because of the Graffiti (I was skeptic because it said Americal, which was weird), well it's completely different. About 15 minutes ago I was watching a documentary on the My Lai Massacre of 1968 so I felt interested in the Massace and Googled it. What came up was the Division. 23rd Infantry Division, Americal. At that moment I realized what I could possibly have in my collection is related to one of the worst Massacres during the Vietnam war. Sadly this cover cant talk about where it's been but the history behind it it's extremely interesting. Could it have been there? Sadly we will never know.

post-173712-0-73303900-1511140340_thumb.jpeg

That's exactly the patina and age you want to see in a vintage graffiti example from this period. Errrrr, not really. But cool cover! Wonder when it was draw on there.

What's the date?

That's exactly the patina and age you want to see in a vintage graffiti example from this period. Errrrr, not really. But cool cover! Wonder when it was draw on there.

What's the date?

Its dated 1965.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I agree , it hasn't seen the heavy use and weathering that grunt's helmets endured in Vietnam, but it still could've been in Vietnam with someone who's job wasn't beating the bush, which were the majority of troops in Vietnam. Off the top of my head it was something like 10 support personal for every 1 in combat.

I do like that it was done in ball point pen instead of sharpie, and Unit markings on the side of helmets were common in Vietnam, although I haven't seen 23rd ID ones before, but then again, i haven't been looking.

As for the change that it was at My Lai, very unlikely, the massacre was carried out by 1 company in the whole division, which is about 1% of the unit.

If it was cheap I personally would've picked it up on the chance that it was real, but it's not a one looker for me. But again, that's just my opinion and if you like it than that's all that matters.

Yeah, very very fresh looking. The killings were committed by a very specific unit so it wasn't Division-wide. I actually own a dog tag to a Rifleman who served with the Company (C Company, 1st Battalion, 20th Infantry, 11th LIB, 23rd ID). He joined the unit almost a year after it happened and served with two men who participated that day before they rotated home. Chilling stuff. Couldn't imagine the unspoken knowledge in that unit, especially considering it didn't hit the US press until well after the incident.

• 6 months later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

No problem, for what it's worth he is a member of A Co 1st Bn, 6th IR, 198th BDE. He is the only case I've seen of this being done, but others in that unit marked their helmets with the ace of spades, which was their company symbol.

No problem, for what it's worth he is a member of A Co 1st Bn, 6th IR, 198th BDE. He is the only case I've seen of this being done, but others in that unit marked their helmets with the ace of spades, which was their company symbol.

So it could possibly be authentic? I'd expect if someone wanted to graffiti the cover for the 23rd it would likely be the Ace of Spades instead.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

So it could possibly be authentic? I'd expect if someone wanted to graffiti the cover for the 23rd it would likely be the Ace of Spades instead.

I think most people wouldn't don't know about A/1/6/198/23, and would be much more likely to know about the 23rd Infantry Division., as it is 10,000% larger than just A Company.

An elaborate faker could do research and find out about Alpha's Spade, but I would also expect them to make a complete helmet, weather it, and advertise it as such. But someone casually interested in the Vietnam war, or a historical airsofter, or reenactor may have drawn the insignia of a unit they are familiar with.

Unless you can find out who "Stoney" is, it'll stay a maybe in my opinion.

Interestingly it looks like the man in the photo has something written above the insignia too.

I know how you feel, I have a AAA-O marked helmet cover, that I bought because I would rather be $20 in the hole than miss out on it if it turned out to be good. I haven't be able to find a single photo of it being done, and even asked a vet on this forum who was with 2/39 in Vietnam if he saw it, and he said no and that is was unlikely. The only thing I've seen like it is another cover on this forum marked the same.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Sounds like a good lead, maybe consider sending him an email if that account is still active.

I think the "Americal Division #1" refers to the pigeon language spoken by Vietnamese people, where #1 is good and #10 is very bad.

Seems he isn't the only Stoney who was with the 23rd: https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=46008 although this one seems unlikely because he was KIA and I doubt his helmet cover would be sent back.