Steel Flak Helmet with Decals?

BSRmilitaria

Hi guys!

Recently Ive purchased this US WWII Flak Helmet with some unusual decals on the side. Does anyone have any information to what these signify or why they were added?

Also any other opinions on this piece are welcome. I am not very knowledgeable with US Flak helmets so anything can help!

Thanks!

William

post-170153-0-60397900-1511115727_thumb.jpg

post-170153-0-01993900-1511115738_thumb.jpg

post-170153-0-16581100-1511115746_thumb.jpg

I could be wrong but the markings look like the Italian flag to me.

Rene

This is what I had also thought - just thinking outloud and could be very wrong - but I thought it was possible that an Italian American may have been issued the helmet and used it during his service?

GeneralCheese

I've seen several of these helmets with swastikas on the side as well. My personal theory is they were done up by a reseller or surplus shop post-war to try to get them to sell.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I agree that the swastika ones were made to sell cheap US surplus to unsuspecting people at a time when most people only wanted German stuff. I'm not sure that's the case with these ones but maybe.

A lot of US surplus was given to Allied nations (as in NATO ally) after WWII. I am thinking that might be a likely explanation.

Thanks everyone for the opinions! Its really great to hear what everyone thinks.

If anyone else has any other theories, I would love to hear them.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I think the only other scenarios besides the ones already mentioned would be OPFOR ...kid done, soap box derby etc....mike

I doubt kid done because there are 2.

GeneralCheese

A lot of US surplus was given to Allied nations (as in NATO ally) after WWII. I am thinking that might be a likely explanation.

It's possible, but I imagine they'd then be found in the respective nation.