CPL Markings on M1

Syphers47

I recently posted this in What's it Worth. However it seems to be an odd marking and may be a better discussion for here. I picked this helmet up at an antique store. It's a FS/SB. It orginally had a gold spray painted chevron on the front which I removed with a light wiping of lacquer thinner. Underneath I discovered these markings, CPL, which I assume stand for Corporal. Has anyone seen these markings before? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

post-172800-0-72362900-1511111064.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

My understanding of OPs post is that the Chevron was on-top of the letters "CPL" and he removed it and it can no longer be seen on the helmet.

My understanding of OPs post is that the Chevron was on-top of the letters "CPL" and he removed it and it can no longer be seen on the helmet.

Correct. There was a poorly spray painted gold chevron on the helmet when I got it. Looked kid done. I removed that and notice these markings underneath. The scratches aren't what I'm talking about.

I appreciate the responses. How common was it to mark initials on the front of a helmet. Any particular branch do this more often than others? Any date we can put on the markings?

My first thought is basic training. When leadership duties within a BT platoon get passed around, there's usually an armband with stripes sewn on (corporal or sergeant) that the trainee gets to wear while learning how to be a leader. Maybe this helmet was along the same lines? I can just imagine a driil saying, "Smith! You're acting corporal today! Put on the helmet!"

My first thought is basic training. When leadership duties within a BT platoon get passed around, there's usually an armband with stripes sewn on (corporal or sergeant) that the trainee gets to wear while learning how to be a leader. Maybe this helmet was along the same lines? I can just imagine a driil saying, "Smith! You're acting corporal today! Put on the helmet!"

That's the best guess I've heard so far. The helmet has definitely been used and abused.