Elgin A-11 wristwatch question please

everforward

Query for the guys out there who have them and maybe even work on them......

What do you guys use to get the back off of one...?? Not all of the A-11s had a hexagonal case back-- some of them had a back with what is known by most as a 'coin-edge' back with serrations around the side, very much like an older Rolex watch. Mine is from 1945 and has the coin-edge back...I need to do some work on it but can't until I get the back loose.

Also, everything that I've read in the Army TMs indicate that the back threads onto the case and is not a pop-on, pop-off variety.

Any help/suggestions/opinions on this...?? Thanks muchly in advance. :)

The A-11 was made by many manufacturers over many years. Without a photo it’s hard to say what you have. However the real experts are on a military watch forum. I don’t know if I’m allowed to send you to a particular one. But would be happy to do so if I can.

The A-11 was made by many manufacturers over many years. Without a photo it’s hard to say what you have. However the real experts are on a military watch forum. I don’t know if I’m allowed to send you to a particular one. But would be happy to do so if I can.

Thank you for the reply, but I know what kind of watch it is, the movement and all of the info about it. My question is more to the point of, 'what kind of case wrench do people use on the Elgin A-11s that have a coin-edge case back...?'

Not trying to identify anything, only to get it apart so I can perform some work.

Go to Amazon and search for "watch case wrench"

I'll try Amazon....if its anything like EBay, it won't be much help. Thanks and I'll give it a shot.

Here we use to have two jewelers who did watch repair as well as repair and making custom jewelry.They are both closed now but I took an A11 once to the last shop we had here.The lady took over the business for her father.She was able to open the watch and give me a quote on repair and cleaning.At the time it was $75.

If you have a place in your area possibly they could be of assistance.

Its a long shot as most of these hands on business's are a thing of the past and replaced by the Walmart and Target plastic bag stores

Here we use to have two jewelers who did watch repair as well as repair and making custom jewelry.They are both closed now but I took an A11 once to the last shop we had here.The lady took over the business for her father.She was able to open the watch and give me a quote on repair and cleaning.At the time it was $75.

If you have a place in your area possibly they could be of assistance.

Its a long shot as most of these hands on business's are a thing of the past and replaced by the Walmart and Target plastic bag stores

Oh yeah, I can remember when we had four or five guys in our town.....its a lost art for sure. Ive already been to one guy, family biz he didnt have a wrench that was the right size. I have a couple more to try yet.