Paint help

airborneguy44

airborneguy44

I recently picked up a rear seam, swivel bail shell with a messy "follow me" paint job on the back. You can make out the outline of the original stripe, but it's a little messy around the edges and on the bottom of the shell. The color seems good just curious if anyone had any ideas on how to clean up the edges and bottom. Thanks

Honestly i wouldnt mess with it if it were mine...it will probably look all boogered up if it doesnt come off nicely on the edges and then you will always have a messed with helmet...being messy and done haphazzardly makes it more original and true to the times of a quick field painting etc....just my thoughts as they all werent pretty boy perfectly painted...mike

stealthytyler

Looks pretty bad to me. Stay away. Though, not all paint from that era shows aging. Ive had a super mint D-Day used helmet...the paint looked like it was added yesterday....

Looks pretty bad to me. Stay away. Though, not all paint from that era shows aging. Ive had a super mint D-Day used helmet...the paint looked like it was added yesterday....

There is mint and then there is Bright White, even if a helmet is looked after extremely well the older paints used In the 40s where never Brilliant white like the helmet posted.

Can you post a pic of yours ? Then you will see the difference in colour