Damaged USN Graffiti Vietnam Helmet

trenchfoot

This helmet along with the sailor's other items were up on eBay and I couldn't click the BIN fast enough. The helmet belonged to a G M Kuhn, who served on the USS Alfred A Cunningham during the Vietnam war (uniform has that patch) around 1968, as the helmet has graffiti saying "NAM 68" Something bad happened to the helmet, not sure what, but the cover is half ripped, not due to bad storage, but it looks like a fire or water damage as the mitchell cover flaps on the inside are charred. The liner is not named to him and was added after the damage, but it was stuck pretty solidly in the helmet so maybe during the war? Graffiti on the helmet has "Pitt P.A." written twice, his name, SN, rank, "USN" "Blood Type AB+" 3 times, and "NAM 68." The seller included Kuhn's uniforms which was his navy jumper, 2 ERDL pants, one shortened, dated '68, his OD pants, boots, medals, duffle bag with his name on it, mosquito net, and baton. The seller said he bought the items in Ohio, right next to Pennsylvania.

I haven't found much on Kuhn, only a picture of him on the USS Cunningham, so any help would be appreciated. I am looking forward to your opinions!

post-163344-0-84796900-1510867085_thumb.jpg

Very nice trench , about as nice as they get. Thats a very very cool helmet and has all the characteristics of a used Lid

D.C

Thanks Archangel!

Thanks Archangel!

Trench its a beauty and I would love to own such a nice lid. I think the damage only adds to the authenticity and originality of the helmet.

Its a winner for sure

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

If the damage happened during the war it would be awesome IMO. But if it happened post war it detracts in my view. My feeling is it happened after the war, because none of the edges are frayed, which I think the would be if it was worn afterwards, and in that condition I feel it would be discarded. But again thats my opinion and it's still a really cool helmet.

If the damage happened during the war it would be awesome IMO. But if it happened post war it detracts in my view. My feeling is it happened after the war, because none of the edges are frayed, which I think the would be if it was worn afterwards, and in that condition I feel it would be discarded. But again thats my opinion and it's still a really cool helmet.

Not necessarily

Fire would have sealed the camo cover ends and if anything the ends that where effected would have got brittle and snapped.

I think it has a chance of being period done. Maybe he received fire and thats how the helmet got home with him.

Just a thought

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

If it was made of nylon I would think it could've sealed the ends, but cotton twill or whatever, I don't think it would.

If it was made of nylon I would think it could've sealed the ends, but cotton twill or whatever, I don't think it would.

Any fibre based material when burnt will not fray and dissolve , why would it ?

If you burn any garment the ends become corse and hard , not melter but burned.

For items to fray you need rubbing not heat

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I'm not saying that the fire would fray them. I'm saying that after the fire has exposed that part as the helmet continues to be used that exposed area would fray.

Sorry but Im with cap re the fire sealed thing.

Also its very possibly rot.

rot requires mold , I dont see any Mould or fungus.

Dry rot occurs when a fabric is exposed to moisture and doesn't dry completely, or when it has been stored in a humid environment. Microscopic mold and mildew spores drift in the air, and when moisture conditions are right, they settle into the fabric and grow. The spores break down cellulose fibers such as cotton, linen, bamboo, hemp, rayon and ramie. The fabric weakening, or dry rot, happens over a period of time and may not be noticeable until the deterioration is extreme.

The USS Cunningham didn't get damaged by enemy fire in Vietnam, which means the helmet couldn't have been set on fire or scorched on that ship. Also, the helmet and all of the other items in the grouping, as the seller told me, were found in his duffle bag, and all the items have the same smell (that means they were stored together) and have no evidence of damage, except the helmet.. I have no idea when the damage occurred but I can verify that it looks very old and that the cover is indeed scorched under the liner. Something happened and it looks pretty old. To be honest, I dont really mind the damage as it gives the helmet character and I'm not trying to say it happened in Vietnam. It probably didn't, but I just know it wasn't done recently.

If you want I can post a picture of the fire damage if that helps.

I've known a couple of objects conservators and model makers who would have had the technical skill to artificially age something to make it look like that, but this artifact just looks great, and real.

Very nice to see something of the kind, and one does wonder what the story of its life actually was...