Painted Fixed bail Navy Helmet For Review

tarheeltim

I recently picked up what I presume to be a WWII fixed bail Navy helmet. The helmet has a gray top, with 1.5" red and yellow stripes at the bottom. It has the original chinstraps, which have some yellow paint still on them. The exterior of the helmet has moderate rust, and the chinstrap hardware shows significant oxidation. Inside the helmet, in the crown, is painted the number "594". Any ideas on what the color scheme represents, or the number 594?

I do see where there were two WWII ships assigned the number 594, the USS Hart (Fletcher Class Destroyer DD-594), and a LST (LST-594).

I did browse the Navy Painted Helmet thread and see there were many variations of painted helmets.

Any and all information is appreciated, including estimated value. Thanks in advance!

post-154764-0-75039300-1510856329.jpg

post-154764-0-41894700-1510856354.jpg

stealthytyler

i feel like 594 would be a station number rather than a ship number. if the helmet is already on a ship, why the need to mark the ship number? Just a thought. Cool helmet by the way

i feel like 594 would be a station number rather than a ship number. if the helmet is already on a ship, why the need to mark the ship number? Just a thought. Cool helmet by the way

. It would be an "accounting number". Allows for inventory. Station number, if used, would be on the outside where it could be seen.