2nd LT Korean War USMC Helmet

trenchfoot

You might recognize this helmet from a past thread, but I'm making a new one for some assistance on IDing this marine. About 2 months ago, I bought this helmet from a forum member for a pricey sum, but I had to have it. I missed it when it was on eBay and i didn't want to miss it again. Go back a month ago, I started really researching on the marine "Mcclellan" and scrolled through many muster rolls, looking for anyone who was a 2nd LT and from new york.

Finally, I found "Robert S McClellan." Born in New York and enlisting in 1951, he shipped out as a replacement for the 11th Marine Regiment, Service Battery FMF and arrived in korea around April 1952. His muster rolls show him with the 11th from April 1952 - October 1952. There is a 6 month gap with no records until he somehow ends up with the "Officers Volunteer Reserve 1Stmcrrd" as a 1st LT back in Boston. Any idea why?

He is the only "Mcclellan" who left korea as a 2nd LT so it is very likely this helmet is his. I know this helmet could be vietnam era, but all the parts of the rig are ww2 era plus the EGA on the cover makes me lean toward korea. I can't find anything else on this man and i would really appreciate any leads or other information on him. If you guys think otherwise or disagree on my ID, please say so.

post-163344-0-45033000-1510789794_thumb.jpg

That's a beautiful helmet. Especially since the man is from NY like myself.

How are you able to post photos on here? I just joined last weekend and would like to post some of my collection.

- Jon

That's a beautiful helmet. Especially since the man is from NY like myself.

How are you able to post photos on here? I just joined last weekend and would like to post some of my collection.

- Jon

Thanks!

I just resize my photos on my computer, but there is a specific forum photo resizer on here, but I don't have a link to it.

Captainofthe7th

Beautiful helmet! I'm envious.

You will have to scroll through the musters manually. For some reason ancestry displays them bimonthly or with large gaps, but if you scroll through them using the filmstrip you will find many others that aren't display via regular search.

Rob

Ega marked covers weren't used in Korea, might be worth checking if he was in the late 50s or early 60s

EGA marked covers were used basically from 1951-1960s. I own a few Korean War 1st Pattern and 3rd Pattern covers that all have the stamped EGA. In January 1956 an order was put out that all Helmet covers must have an EGA sewn on, for example the Diamond shaped Covers. I have a diamond Camo cover (1st Pattern) which also has a EGA stamped underneath. The 53' covers weren't used in Korea. But the WWII era covers were. Some without the EGAs some with.

EGA marked covers were used basically from 1951-1960s. I own a few Korean War 1st Pattern and 3rd Pattern covers that all have the stamped EGA. In January 1956 an order was put out that all Helmet covers must have an EGA sewn on, for example the Diamond shaped Covers. I have a diamond Camo cover (1st Pattern) which also has a EGA stamped underneath. The 53' covers weren't used in Korea. But the WWII era covers were. Some without the EGAs some with.

Would love to see a photo of a EGA stamped cover in Korea. Please share some.