Patch ID help

63 RECON

hey gents,

little but of help if possible, this is the ghosting on the left sleeve of a shirt i recently picked up. it has ghosting of an SF SSI on the right side.

Its approx. 6.5cm (2.55") high and 4.3cm (1.69") at its widest at the top.

I'm thinking maybe MACV?

anyone think different?

cheers

post-117117-0-93600300-1510737622_thumb.jpg

The shape is spot on for the US Army Atomic Defense Agency patch. Thinking about it, highly unlikely.....Theater made patches could be of any odd shape......

-Ski

post-3043-0-45220300-1510760539_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Little bit more info, I have received the shirt and the records of the veteran (thank you to Erick again) All patches have been removed bar the name tape, there is ghosting of an SF SSI on the right sleeve, rank, MOS on the collars and US Army tape, CIB and jump wings.

As I'm looking to re-patch the shirt and need to figure out a few things with the forums help, having his records should point us in the right direction for the patch on the left sleeve and rank needed.

He served in the US Army from '51-'77 and did two tours of SVN, one in '65 with 5th SFG and from what I can tell another with MACV in '71 as Ops officers as its states HQUSMACV (W08V-AA-A) on his service record.

It also has him at SOG (ch, ground studies branch) from Apr '71 into early '72 and then its return to CONUS.

Before his second tour he was at HQ 2nd armd cavalry in Germany and before that at west point

Being a '69 dated shirt the chances are its a MACV patch and possibly an in country made one at that given the shape.

Also he was promoted to Major in '65, LTC in '68 and then was a Major again in '70, I'm thinking it should have Majors rank.

Anyone's thoughts the same?

post-117117-0-57842900-1518169250_thumb.jpg

Based on what you have found out, I would guess the missing shoulder patch is MACV.

Keep in mind these shadows don't always conform to the shape of a brand new, unissued patch... and the same can be said for the stitching. Local made patches can further distort the shadow if they are different from the standard ones.

His Branch of Service may have been Armor, which would explain the long, rectangular shape.

Hi Gil,

cheers for the reply.

And yes he was armoured, I overlooked that initially when i went through his records and it would explain all the postings to armoured unit :rolleyes:

He did infantry officers course when he first joined but then went on to armour.

whats your thoughts on the rank?

Based on what you posted about dates of rank vs. assignments I am not sure.

With 20 years in service by 1971 and returning to MACV, he should have been an LT Colonel.

I find it odd that he went up a rank grade and then down one. While this happened with the

Enlisted ranks, it would have been unusual for an officer. If it was a disciplinary issue, the Army would have retired him at 20 years and not sent him back to Vietnam with the potential of getting into more trouble.

I think what you might be seeing in his records is the difference between temporary rank and permanent rank, which was an oddity of the system. The services use this device as a means of getting around legislative limits of the number of authorized officers on duty. Temporary rank gave you the pay and authority of the higher rank. Permanent rank determined retirement pay and benefits. If the forces drew down, you might be reverted to your permanent rank. Think of General Custer, youngest General of the American Civil War. He was actually a colonel at the Battle of the Little Big Horn.

If I am wrong in how I am remembering this, someone feel free to correct me.

• 5 months later...

Think of General Custer, youngest General of the American Civil War. He was actually a colonel at the Battle of the Little Big Horn.

Custer was actually a Lt. Colonel at the time of the Little Big Horn battle in 1876.

Think of General Custer, youngest General of the American Civil War. He was actually a colonel at the Battle of the Little Big Horn.

Custer was actually a Lt. Colonel at the time of the Little Big Horn battle in 1876.

Lt Col was he Regular Army grade post Civil War and would be his official grade, but he was still referred to in person by his last CW grade, as General, a Brevet Rank, a Major General, as were all those CW officers who held a brevet general grade and got into the Regulars after the CW.

• 3 months later...

FYI - the name tape and US Army tape angled along the pocket edges are 1970 vintage. I was in Nam in 1969-70 and our name tapes and US Army tapes were worn horizontal to the ground. Had a couple new guys join us in February '70 and we noted the new positioning then. MHJ