• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,708
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

George Augustus Reed was a 29yo second lieutenant in the Army, enlisting in the service in 1940 from Springfield, MO.

image.jpeg

He was placed in charge of Battery E of the 24th Field Artillery, Philippine Scouts and was sent to the Philippine Islands where he served.

image.jpeg

Being stationed in the Philippines, George Reed was present when the Japanese attacked in December of 1941. George tried to take a boat from Bataan to Corregidor but was picked up by a Japanese vessel and officially became a POW when the Philippines fell in April, 1942.

image.jpeg

He was sent to Bilibad Prison in the Philippines. Due to his officer status, George was made leader of his prison group and was consequently punished regularly.

Was later transferred to Mindinao in the Philippines and spent two and a half years their.

image.jpeg

After these two years, George was sent to Manila and placed on the Oryoku Maru "hell ship" which sent him to Kyushu, Japan and Camp Fukuoka #3 and then onto Camp Hoten in Mukden, Manchuria. It is from Mukden that George was liberated in August, 1945.

image.jpeg

The lot came with the paper work associated with him, newspaper detailing his capture, his picture, a 16 page autobiography of his time as a POW, and an artillery shell that is dated 1940 and inscribed with his name and unit. The 75mm shell appears to have been given to him before the fall of the Philippines and was shipped back home to his family. The shell and autobiography are the highlights of this grouping.

image.jpeg

Like the posthumous Silver Star bible that I posted earlier in field gear, this listing comes from ourboysof98 and Keith's personal collection. Thanks again Keith for all your help and assistance.

As with the bible, I'm happy to add this to my collection and keep these Missouri memories alive.

Thanks again for everything.

#2 copper252

copper252
  • Members
    • Member ID: 163,795
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:55 PM

Can you post additional pictures of the ribbon bars, I have been hoping to find a Philippines defender grouping from Missouri. Amazing grouping,  I love that shell.

#3 tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90
  • Members
    • Member ID: 13,708
  • 290 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

Can you post additional pictures of the ribbon bars, I have been hoping to find a Philippines defender grouping from Missouri. Amazing grouping,  I love that shell.

I'm not all that up on my ribbons but Keith said they came with the estate sale but isn't too sure if the bars belonged to Reeds brother who also served, or himself. Either way they came with the lot so he wanted to keep everything intact. Hope this photo will do. Thanks.

Attached Images

• image.jpeg

#4 copper252

copper252
  • Members
    • Member ID: 163,795
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

i'd bet the bottom left one is his.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"