WWII USMC Camo Painted Machete

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

I assume that this machete has a USMC camo paint scheme that is consistent with other combat painted gear seen in major PTO battles. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

post-131595-0-98718600-1510549835_thumb.jpg

Hi Tyler - Interesting. Out of the ordinary (to me) to see an English Machete in a US marked carrier. Is there a broad arrow property mark anywhere on the machete, or just what you've pictured? I've seen a bunch of US-made machetes in that carrier (Disston, Tru-Temper, Collins). As far as the camo, while anything is possible, I don't generally associate that color / design to USMC. There is a forum thread on canteen carriers, IIRC, that has a couple of examples of positively-attributed USMC camo carriers. Those, with other hand-painted / known USMC gear I've seen, makes me expect more of a forest green than OD, and generally more stripey than "blobs". Cool carrier, which I'd have definitely bought. All just IMO.

Im thinking a post war made machete in a scabbard.There were many sold for the surplus market marked England. I have one made in Belgium.

Typically for export reasons many items had to be marked from the country of manufacture.This is also why you see so many war time commando knives marked "ENGLAND" on the guard.

Another note is there were scabbards marked USMC as contracted for the Marine Corps.Many were made by Boyt.

As with anything there can be anomalies and possible this was Marine used but army units had them too and camo paint doesn't automatically meant Marine Corps.

Just my thinking this was a marriage of items from durplus sales.

stealthytyler

Thanks guys for the comments. I do not see any other marking on the blade other than MADE IN SHEFFIELD ENGLAND. I used to own a nice Guadalcanal/Tarawa Marine grouping that had a very similar camo paint job so I assumed this could possibly be a USMC scabbard.

stealthytyler

Here is another thought... could this be an Army airborne scabbard? Ive seen some airborne uniforms and field gear with similar camo paint jobs. I know im reaching but the paint looks period to me. If connected to the Normandy campaign, could it make sense that the machete is English made? I read somewhere that the US had England make a lot of their machetes. Again, no proof for this machete setup but just a theory.

Government Issue

There's a pretty famous picture of a bunch of 101 boys in France with Nazi war souvenirs and one has a machete. I'll see if I can find it. It's actually a still from a combat cameraman.

stealthytyler

Here is a good thread about machetes:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/154266-australian-british-made-wwii-machetes-for-us/

There seems to be quite a few commercial England made machetes showing up in USGI scabbards. Someone mentioned that there may have been a shortage of US made machetes during the war. Troops stationed in England may have been issued English made machetes. Very interesting that this has a camo paint scheme similar to Airborne troops and the blade is marked England made.

Does anyone else have any more info on English made commercial machetes being used by US troops?

I have found several British Made machete's over the years with the exact same markings in G.I. scabbards. I don't see a problem with it at all. The camo scheme looks USMC too me, but who knows. Could have been picked up in Europe or the PTO, plenty of British troops in the Pacific.

Many machine gun crews were issued machetes in the ETO - specifically during Normandy. I believe there is a nice example like this in De Trezs book that shows a complete web set up from a 101st Trooper that was lost on D-Day.

Nice find. Camouflaged Gear is one of my favorites.

Andy

Many machine gun crews were issued machetes in the ETO - specifically during Normandy. I believe there is a nice example like this in De Trezs book that shows a complete web set up from a 101st Trooper that was lost on D-Day.

Nice find. Camouflaged Gear is one of my favorites.

Andy

My first thought was that it was cammoed for the Southern France invasion. It resembles the cammo paint on my airborne modified M6 rocket bag that came from Italy years ago.

MVC-040S.JPG

MVC-041S.JPG

Here's a British Made machete in a US scabbard. Both have a GI's laundry mark on them. This set came out of a local flea market about 20 years ago for $8. There are no military markings on the machete.

MVC-042S.JPG

MVC-043S.JPG

MVC-044S.JPG

Here's another British Made machete. This time it's dated 1945 and has the broad arrow mark. But also on the other side it reads Made in England.

MVC-046S.JPG

MVC-047S.JPG