Writing to Buy Items Through PM

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

I'm posting a topic because I'm getting really tired of all the hassle. The stuff I post on the forum is almost exclusively new finds and more interesting stuff; hence the reason to post in the first place. Its exciting stuff and I like to post it. I used to get an offer to buy an item somewhat infrequently. Now it's every time I post I get multiple offers. I posted an EGA in the EGA section several months ago. In the ensuing time I have received no less than 8 offers to buy that EGA including two just last week. Thats not the problem. I want to be very clear I don't mind people writing.

However, I am growing rather tired of members becoming irritated or bothered that I don't accept their price. When you write the item posted was NOT explicitly for sale. It was a discussion thread not a for sale. Almost all are intended for my personal collection. When something is not for sale common courtesy is to at least offer retail/near retail. Some people would argue a percentage over retail. Nonetheless, the most recent 2 to write were about one specific EGA. I'm not a heavy EGA collector, but I know some of the good ones. I asked several other members what a fair price would be and used their recommendations, but the most recent reply implies I'm asking the moon. This is nuts. If you want an item so bad that you write, you best be willing to pay the price and it is extremely rude to make comments toward me about it.

So in conclusion I am not tired of members writing to buy items but I am tired of the comments and the complaining that I don't know what I have and am asking too much for it or whatever other excuse. Its a very rare EGA (in this case). its worth alot more than the $100 at least two members have written and insisted its worth.

I am sorry for the rant, but this is disgusting. ABN

Hey its your stuff, if they want it like you said they can pay your price, your not selling it, they offered you money for something you had no intention of selling. So Ditto to what you said. There is no book price for this stuff it fluctuates like the stock market. If I'd of known, I'd have bought every fixed bail or M1C out there....LOL I have sold things for a crazy price because I did not want to sell it. But they bought it I just shook my head and said they wanted it more than I did. So its just material stuff, it isn't going with you when you go. So enjoy it and pass it on.... :)

P/S I get what your saying.............

If someone in particular hassles you on a repeating basis let us know and we will talk to them. With over 20,000 registered members all sorts of people are represented on the forum, but we do our best to encourage - even require - civil discourse, so, again, let us know if someone really gets out of line.

Patchcollector

This reminds me of something similar happening to me sometime ago here on the Forum.I posted some items to share my finds and had a trade inquiry,even though I didn't want or express a desire to trade.
The person wanting to trade had made up in their mind what they felt my items were worth monetarily,and attempted to offer me items that they felt were of "equal value".Even though I wasn't interested in trading, I countered for more than the person was willing to offer,and they got angry and stated that my counteroffer was unfair.

I reminded them that it was they who approached me,and I hadn't even advertised a desire to trade to begin with,so if I did decide to trade,it would be on my terms,not theirs.

Suffice it to say I was not ever bothered by them again. ^_^

Moral of story;if one approaches another to buy or trade when the other hasn't expressed a desire to do either,if the other does decide to engage then be prepared to negotiate with that in mind.

I love it when someone says, " I'll GIVE you X dollars" for something you have. Like they are doing you a favor. It's at the point if someone asks how much I want for something, and I say $10- and then they say I'll GIVE you $8- then I will come back and say No- I now want $12. That usually shuts them up. If someone asks if I would ACCEPT $8, then I might make a deal. I'm old now and grumpy, but politeness still goes a long way.

CNY Militaria

In the same category would be the folks that write out of the blue to the effect of "If you ever sell sell X item, please message me first." And when I respond with "Make me an offer!", The reply is "Oh, I wouldnt even know what to offer for it."

I once posted an item that resulted in 13 different people (seriously, I counted) sending messages like the one above. None were willing to either make me an offer or agree to the price I selected (a price that was below retail and well below what I actually later sold it for).

I rarely send messages to members offering to buy when it wasnt listed for sale in the first place, but when I do I have a number in mind and its usualy at or above retail.

I'll add one more log to the fire..

A forum member who has been blocked from the for sale section contacts me via PM to go around the system. I did some investigating and found that said member has had a history of wanting to purchase something but then they don't follow through with several members, thus their banning from the sale section...

Don't appreciate people going around the system to get something they want.. I was skeptical which is sad now a days about the true intent of some folks..

Though I will say the members on here are some wonderful folks, and as Mr. Hudson has stated, there are all sorts of people represented here on the forum, so with 1 bad experience compared to 20,000 members, I like the odds...

Leigh

suwanneetrader

Why would anyone want to "go around" our FS section? No fees on here only restrictions I'm aware of are Must be US Military and Legal to sell or own. Richard

Why would anyone want to "go around" our FS section? No fees on here only restrictions I'm aware of are Must be US Military and Legal to sell or own. Richard

I would have to agree with Richard

Richard,

There are some that are members here that have been banned from the Sales section, meaning they can't buy or sell due to something they have done in the past to members such as non-payment after committing to buy. To get around the system they sent someone a PM..

You can see sometimes with their avatar "No for Sale".. I had to ask what this meant, and again they can't buy or sell on the forum, but they can still send PMs bugging people to sell items..

I know first hand, this happened to me a few months ago..

Leigh

i have too been contacted after posting something before and actually was offered a more than fair price which i politely turned down - every so often he would touch base each time w a fair offer and each time i declined the contactor was very polite and ultimately i am glad now bc ultimately a year or so later the contactor and i were able to conclude a very cool deal