Can dents/indentations be removed from a leather sheath?

usmce4

I've removed many small dents and dings from wood gunstocks by placing a damp cloth over the ding and "steaming" the dent with a hot iron.

Before I ruin a sheath I'd like to know if anyone has ever tried in on indentions on a sheath from laying under other stuff for years.

Or perhaps does anyone know of another way to raise dents on an otherwise near mint sheath?

Please fell free to PM or post on here

Thanks, Art

The short answer would be yes, but auto detailers would tell you that when they remove dents in leather seats it's very tricky and easy to mess up. I don't believe they do it the same way as raising dents in wood. I believe they use indirect dry heat and are careful not to get the leather too hot. Never tried it myself but I hope this points you in the right direction.

I called Tandy Leather and got a very knowledgable person. I explained it was for a knife sheath (made from leather I got from them years ago - tiny white lie). When I compared it to wood she explained wood is more fiberous than hide which has a density similar to clay and moisture will not swell hide like it does wood. When I asked how they do it with heat for car seats she explained that is a thinner cut of hide, more akin to skin and they carefully shrink it with a heat gun.

Art - Lucky with knives and love - unlucky with sheaths :(