Photo

100 Yards Rolls of Herringbone Twill - Use?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kklinejr

kklinejr
  • Members
    • Member ID: 99
  • 2,886 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 04:04 PM

I've finally had a chance to dig into some boxes and crates of stuff and found these two rolls of fabric. One is a 100 yard roll of 1.75" wide herringbone twill (thin material). The other is a 1972 (tagged for 1981 production) contracted roll of heavy cotton OD 7 and 7/8" wide. I originally felt that these rolls were used for rigging helmet liners, but have since doubted it. Any ideas, guys?

Ken

Attached Images

• M1_001.jpg
  • M1_002.jpg
  • M1_004.jpg

Edited by kklinejr, 18 February 2007 - 04:05 PM.

#2 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:10 PM

See if the roll of HBT material matches the waist band on a pair of HBT trousers. There are other similar places it can be used too.

The OD7 cotton is probably for edging on equipment covers or something of that sort. Look at shovel covers, canteen covers or something of that type.

#3 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,906 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:24 AM

the width of this reminds me of the rolls of burlap our Snipers use to build their 'gillie suits'. Perhaps this twill was incorporated into these suits. not saying that was the original intention, but I can easily seeing a Sniper saying 'yeah, this'll work'

#4 Jeeper704

Jeeper704
  • Members
    • Member ID: 157
  • 6,393 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:27 AM

Or maybe use as camo for vehicles?
Just a thought.
Erwin

#5 US CANTEEN GURU

US CANTEEN GURU

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 85
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:07 PM

I have examples of both white and OG woven material, that we referred to as "Engineer tape." I think it was primarily used to mark mine fields and concertina wire. I'm sure it had many other applications. I recall that we used it in allot of ways such as to mark vehicle parking areas and our helicopter troop used it (well staked to the ground) to mark landing areas.

However the use of this material could also have been as suggested for use in manufacturing material items. I suppose it is possible that these web tapes served both purposes.

#6 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,906 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:49 PM

so often in the military, things are used far beyond their original intentions

I've seen the 'C-Wire' marked with flourescant tape in garrison so friendly troops can see it. Not that you want enemy troops to see it all the time, which might be why I have never seen C-Wire marked here in theater. I know when I constructed a Wire Plan on my first tour we didn't mark it in any way except on our own maps

#7 DesertRatTom

DesertRatTom
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 9,906
  • 260 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:10 PM

I've finally had a chance to dig into some boxes and crates of stuff and found these two rolls of fabric. One is a 100 yard roll of 1.75" wide herringbone twill (thin material). The other is a 1972 (tagged for 1981 production) contracted roll of heavy cotton OD 7 and 7/8" wide. I originally felt that these rolls were used for rigging helmet liners, but have since doubted it. Any ideas, guys?

Ken

The HBT tape- repairs, edging, belts are possibilites most likely.

The 100 yd roll most likely edging for packs, &c. Always good stuff to have handy for repairs.

Tom

#8 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 15,521 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

I have seen these rolls in OD7 & OD3, both from the Vietnam era; although I do not recall anything using OD3 edging that late.

#9 WI1944GPW

WI1944GPW
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 155,103
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:00 PM

100s of uses, but I'd say the best and most use would be as edgeing and this would be handy to have on hand for anyone doing repairs or replicating old gear.  Came in a variety of widths and patterns, just sold a batch of the newer nylon type.  Good stuff.

Best Regards

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users