German Flag

notinfringed

I'm not sure this is the right forum for this topic. I bought a German flag today, (I usually avoid German items like the plague), and it has what I hope are US service men's names written all over it. I was hoping someone on this forum could point me in the right direction for researching them to find out if they are all in the same outfit. The names are as follow:

Robert Ashpole "Bob"

James W Davidson

Riley C. Rodgers "T.H."

William W Gibson "GIB"

H.L. Seay

Leonard P Harris "Pop"

Walter Braswell

Robert L Swartzel

Richard Holland

Roy N Slack

Charles Bishop

Charles E. Dillard

Hugh Pinkerton

Henry Rossi

William R Patterson

I may have missed a few, but do any of these names ring any bells for anyone?

I found an obituary for a Henry Rossi that was on a Motor Torpedo Boat, so possibly a Navy connection.

Found a Henry L Rossi- died 2/6/2013 Naples, FL listed as Army vet who fought in the Battle of the Bulge

Born 4/13/1918 in Fairbanks, PA

Army service time 3/23/44-10/27/45; overseas 1/27/45- 7/27/45 (short time overseas -wounded??)

S/N 33 928 578

Have a look on Find a grave website and found some name which could be some of the soldiers you look for.

Robert Ashpole : Find A Grave Memorial# 27218120

Robert L Swartzel : Find A Grave Memorial# 116352032

Roy N Slack : Find A Grave Memorial# 34093162

Henry L Rossi : Find A Grave Memorial# 174319797

Domi

Names I saw were Ashpole, Rodgers, Seay, Harris, Swartzil, Slack, Bishop, Dillard, Rossi, Patterson (first nmaes matched too). Pinkerton (pic above) had unit listed in obit.

That leaves Davidson, Gibson, Braswell and Holland (maybe I missed them or they were in different company or replacements).

Too many names to be a coincidence.

That is amazing work. Thank you all so much. Since it seems to be confirmed to be US associated, here are some pictures.

post-2011-0-37021300-1509859010_thumb.jpg

post-2011-0-71108000-1509859022_thumb.jpg

Nice signed flag...really cool IDed. I have a few flags none signed..Im still on the hunt for one. Thanks for posting pictures since it brings it to reality

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been able to research many of the names since I have my father's wartime items regarding his battalion in the 13th Armored division. Below is what I was able to find on these names :

Robert Ashpole "Bob" C company. T/5 from Thomson, IL Residing in Edwardsville, IL with wife Joyce as of 1992 13th Armored Association member

James W Davidson 13th Armored Association member as of 1992.

Riley C. Rogers "T.H." C T/4 from Lockney, TX 13th Armored Association member as of 1992

William W Gibson "GIB" 13th Armored Association member as of 1992

H.L. Seay ( Howard ) C T/5 from Dallas, TX Living in Toledo, OH with wife Mary Lou as of 1992.

Leonard P Harris "Pop" C T/3 from Toledo, OH Residing in Oregon, OH with wife Eleanor as of 1992.

Walter Braswell

Robert L Swartzel C T/4 from Vandalia, OH Residing in Vero Beach, FLA with wife Jesse as of 1992.

Richard Holland C Residing in Toledo, OH with wife Pearl as of 1992.

Roy N Slack C pfc from Lubbock, TX

Charles Bishop C T/4 from Barnesville, OH 13th Armored Association member as of 1992.

Charles E. Dillard C T/4 from Hobbs, NM 13th Armored Association member as of 1992

Hugh Pinkerton C born 7/13/1917 Occupation farmer before joining the service. Joined Aug. 1942. Trained at Camp Perry, OH and Camp Beale, CA Attended Armored Tank School Ft. Knox. Trained at Camp Bowie , TX with 13th Armored Division. Shipped overseas Jan. 1945 attached to the 135th Ordnance maintenance battalion .Served 8 1/2 months overseas. Final rank of Sergeant. Married Aug. 28, 1945. Discharged 16 Dec. 1945. Returned to farming in Plainview, TX. Wife Mary Lee. Three sons, one daughter. Retired in 1991.

Henry Rossi C T/5 from Pittsburgh, PA Residing in Aliquippa, PA with wife Francis as of 1992 .

William R Patterson C Sgt. From Joaquin, TX 13th Armored Association member as of 1992

William Fuqua C T/4 from Hamilton, TX Residing in Arlington, TX with wife Velma as of 1992.

Forrest Hill C T/5 from Tacoma, WA

All of these men shipped to LeHavre, France in Jan. 1945. Almost all would have returned in July 1945 after occupation duty in Bavaria. In the U.S. they were slated to prepare for the invasion of Japan . The division is credited with 16 days of Combat up to May 6, 1945.

The above information was obtained from the 50th Anniversary History of the 13th Armored Division and associated information my father had at the time. He served in Company A of the 135th Ordnance Maintenance battalion.

You may notice quite a few are from Texas. The 13th Armored was dominated by Texas recruits. Much of their training also took place in Texas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I have been able to research many of the names since I have my father's wartime items regarding his battalion in the 13th Armored division. Below is what I was able to find on these names :

Robert Ashpole "Bob" C company. T/5 from Thomson, IL Residing in Edwardsville, IL with wife Joyce as of 1992 13th Armored Association member

James W Davidson 13th Armored Association member as of 1992.

Riley C. Rogers "T.H." C T/4 from Lockney, TX 13th Armored Association member as of 1992

William W Gibson "GIB" 13th Armored Association member as of 1992

H.L. Seay ( Howard ) C T/5 from Dallas, TX Living in Toledo, OH with wife Mary Lou as of 1992.

Leonard P Harris "Pop" C T/3 from Toledo, OH Residing in Oregon, OH with wife Eleanor as of 1992.

Walter Braswell

Robert L Swartzel C T/4 from Vandalia, OH Residing in Vero Beach, FLA with wife Jesse as of 1992.

Richard Holland C Residing in Toledo, OH with wife Pearl as of 1992.

Roy N Slack C pfc from Lubbock, TX

Charles Bishop C T/4 from Barnesville, OH 13th Armored Association member as of 1992.

Charles E. Dillard C T/4 from Hobbs, NM 13th Armored Association member as of 1992

Hugh Pinkerton C born 7/13/1917 Occupation farmer before joining the service. Joined Aug. 1942. Trained at Camp Perry, OH and Camp Beale, CA Attended Armored Tank School Ft. Knox. Trained at Camp Bowie , TX with 13th Armored Division. Shipped overseas Jan. 1945 attached to the 135th Ordnance maintenance battalion .Served 8 1/2 months overseas. Final rank of Sergeant. Married Aug. 28, 1945. Discharged 16 Dec. 1945. Returned to farming in Plainview, TX. Wife Mary Lee. Three sons, one daughter. Retired in 1991.

Henry Rossi C T/5 from Pittsburgh, PA Residing in Aliquippa, PA with wife Francis as of 1992 .

William R Patterson C Sgt. From Joaquin, TX 13th Armored Association member as of 1992

William Fuqua C T/4 from Hamilton, TX Residing in Arlington, TX with wife Velma as of 1992.

Forrest Hill C T/5 from Tacoma, WA

All of these men shipped to LeHavre, France in Jan. 1945. Almost all would have returned in July 1945 after occupation duty in Bavaria. In the U.S. they were slated to prepare for the invasion of Japan . The division is credited with 16 days of Combat up to May 6, 1945.

The above information was obtained from the 50th Anniversary History of the 13th Armored Division and associated information my father had at the time. He served in Company A of the 135th Ordnance Maintenance battalion.

You may notice quite a few are from Texas. The 13th Armored was dominated by Texas recruits. Much of their training also took place in Texas.

Thank you so much for the information. I wonder if any of these gentlemen are around still.