Bullion CBI patches (World Report, Flying Nurse and Red Cross)

ocsfollowme

Let's have a cordial discussion backed up with facts of other insignia. Please include photos etc...

This auction just ended and did not make reserve. https://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-ARMY-CHINA-BURMA-INDIA-BULLION-PATCHES-RARE-/263276219370?hash=item3d4c7c4bea%3Ag%3AbOcAAOSwH3hZ7RrT&nma=true&si=5bthiXyLgQU%252FSKZ8CANukllhFtw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It was brought up in this thread but the discussion about them should be talked about in this one. I've seen Red Cross ones like this pop up on eBay from time to time and cannot remember if they were of the same construction.

Good and cordial dialogue please. Include supporting evidence rather than just IMO.

post-122868-0-22969600-1509557812_thumb.jpg

Here are three I own that glow on the back like the New York Skyline at dark.Scotty

img092.jpg

img090.jpg

These look like mirror images of the patches that started the post. So not to put words into your mouth you are saying they are bad! Just unbelieveable that the auction went so far with no one alerting to possible fake except Airborne-Hunter and yet bidding went to over $2000 on ebay and to be honest I did not think or even consider them to be fake.

Mort until I had them in hand and

could see if they glowed I or anyone else can not say for sure.All I am saying is the similarity is frightening. Scotty

Hi Dave,

Would you respond to question posed by Airborne-Hunter that World Report existed AFTER the war and the second question regarding the examples you have that do not glow and similar style that does glow;what are we to make of this apparent contradiction. Do you agree with A-H assessment on construction as to how he thought they were fake without blacklight?

My guess is that the patches are real. The front does not glow. If the reverse glows the patches may have been in contact with a material that reflects black light.

88thcollector

The magazine "US News" started in the 1934. In 1945, the owner added "and World Report" to the name, making the it US News and World Report of today. Even though World Report was not added to the name until 1945, the magazine had foreign correspondents in the war, maybe they wore this patch. I cannot find a wartime copy of US News online but maybe there was a World Report section.

Hi Dave,

Would you respond to question posed by Airborne-Hunter that World Report existed AFTER the war and the second question regarding the examples you have that do not glow and similar style that does glow;what are we to make of this apparent contradiction. Do you agree with A-H assessment on construction as to how he thought they were fake without blacklight?

https://www.usnews.com/info/features/about-usnews

First thing I need to say is this is only my opinion, and I could be wrong. I don't bat 1.000 in anything, and have had some notable mess ups here on USMF. Next, the patches that began this thread are not for military units, and I don't collect them nor have a modicum of interest in them. This is not a knock on those who do; I collect MRS patches, guaranteed to put most collectors to sleep, or not want to collect anything again.

World News was in fact started in 1946, and merged w/ "US News" in 1948 to become US News and World Report. Does it really matter if the patch was made in 1946 for an organization active in 1946? It was done in the style of those military and non-military patches made 1943-45. Does it matter if a German made patch for a US Army unit, made by the same manufacturer, was made in 1946 or 1945? How about a Japanese made patch for a US Army unit, same time frame, same circumstances?

I can also add that the patches that began this thread, as well as those posted by Bill Scott, are NOT made in the style of Paki made bullion repro patches c. 1970, Merrill's Marauders, MTF, Kachin and Jingpaw Rangers; all of these are now close to 50 years old and might fool you if you never saw them prior, or your memory has faded, or you are not an ASMIC member, as we have pubbed articles on them.

Since I don't speculate, unk to me why the backs of some of the patches glow and others for the same units made the same way, same materials, do not.

Whew.