Opened my 87 year old tin sealed M1A1 gas mask.

one50

I went to my buddies house this last weekend. He had a pile of gas stuff for me. In the pile were 2 sealed tins from 1930 with M1A1 gas masks in them. One of the tins was de-milled via the hole punch as seen in the photo. As you can see, the de-milling process was a long time ago due to the rust around the hole. I have never opened any of my masks sealed in tins....but...since both of these masks were identical and the one was de-milled...I went ahead and enjoyed it like a kid in a candy store.

I was expecting crap to fall out of this tin...to my surprise.....it was perfect. The inside of the tin had some rust and some rust dust wiped off on the carrier but overall a perfect mask. The rubber flapper, face piece and hose are supple and pliable as if they were made this year. A packing sheet has the date of inspection and signatures of the people who inspected it. The carrier is drop dead perfect, the filter and anit-dim are still in place and look brand new. The steel face form has a little spot rust on it, but is perfect condition. I could not be happier with opening this...no regrets at all !!!

I have lots of pics, so please enjoy. If you have questions, please ask.

Thanks

Dan

post-939-0-50610400-1509498929_thumb.jpg

post-939-0-54690500-1509498942_thumb.jpg

Incredible! I would never have expected to see something in such pristine condition come out of such an old container.

Thanks for sharing your exciting experience!

Terry

armysoldierant1944

I have a similar one straight from the tin but size 2 complete with packing slip and all. Yours is in likewise terrific shape! Thanks for sharing!

Here is a picture of the front of the tin I didn't open.

Plus a picture of the pull tab to open it up. You need a key or a pair of pliers...can't open it by hand.

It would be fun to find one in each size. 1, 2, 3, & 4

In this series/style of mask, the M1 comes in sizes 1, 2, 3, & 4 and has crimped lenses.

This M1A1 comes in sizes 1, 2, 3, & 4 and has screw on lenses.

The M1A2 only comes in "U"...universal and has screw on lenses.

That's your basic differences in the 3 masks on this type.

post-939-0-59470100-1509583571_thumb.jpg

post-939-0-38298400-1509583589_thumb.jpg

Thats pretty nice.

Have one in a can and think its the M1a1.Have to check.

Bought one as well with the slip that was taken out of a can.

thanks for posting the information on the models.

• 1 year later...

Your specimens are very interesting because they use the early tins used with the original MI Service Mask, my example here is slightly later, being dated 1933, a size 2, and being packaged in the later corrugated packing tin.

post-207727-0-59665000-1547940642_thumb.jpg

Good shot of the mask's interior. Much like yours, my MIA1 has the earlier, conical tissot deflector pouch used on the MI, rather than the smaller type used on the MIA2. I am unsure if the MIA1 ever used the smaller type, but if they did, it was much later into their production. Note the faint texture bumps in the rubber as well as the internally-molded size stamp between the eyepieces.

post-207727-0-13947700-1547940896_thumb.jpg

Another interesting feature of these masks is the anti-dimming stick supplied - this being the same type issued to the WWI Akron-Tissot (.A.T.), Kops-Tissot (K.T.), and Kops-Tissot-Monro (K.T.M.) Masks. Being that yours is earlier than mine, it is safe to assume yours also comes with one of these recycled 'Tissot' anti-dimming sticks. These would later receive a makeover with an olive drab paint scheme, dropping 'Tissot-Type' from the designation, as the era of the 'Box Respirator' gas masks with mouthpieces and noseclips was long gone and the advent of injection molding appearing with the E32R35 and M2 Gas Masks set the addition of tissot deflectors as the norm of gas mask design, thus making the need to have specially-marked anti-dimming kits for 'Tissot' masks redundant.

post-207727-0-58452300-1547941190_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Your specimens are very interesting because they use the early tins used with the original MI Service Mask, my example here is slightly later, being dated 1933, a size 2, and being packaged in the later corrugated packing tin.

attachicon.gifMIA1(1).jpg

Hi Dukenougat, nice display and thankfully the top has been opened sympathetically so that all the printed detail is legible. I bought one of these over twenty years ago from a US dealer and he had torn open the top cover with a screwdriver and hammer destroying the etiquette information, if only he had opened it at the opposite blank end that would have made it better for displaying.

lewis.

that is so cool that it wasn't stiff or anything when you took it out! You must be very happy! Now you have a nice open one to display with your tinned ones! Thanks for sharing.

Great mask! Thanks for posting pictures.

If you haven't looked it over, TM 3-205 (1941) is a great reference for masks in service up to 1941. It has a table that breaks down the differences between mask models. I tried to post a link from the internet but can't get it to appear in this text for some reason. If you are interested, do an internet search for it... You will see links for free downloads in PDF format.

Tom