• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mortaydc60

mortaydc60
  • Members
    • Member ID: 565
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:39 PM

This is the second test of your knowledge and buying expertise. Recently a seller on ebay had three very nice and rare CBI variations that did not meet the reserve which was over $2000. Pick one of the three and than the question is would you buy the CBI you selected or buy a Free Thai patch if of same price.8120bf6131b1e7fbea4f6b13d9dc43ef.jpg s-l225.jpg

#2 ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme
  • Members
    • Member ID: 122,868
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

I would take the World Report as I think that is rarer. The free tai is an OSS piece so I would go with that one. To each their own.

#3 jweitkamp

jweitkamp
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,865
  • 236 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

The CBI pieces all look to be one of a kind , and I've seen several Free Thai (7 or 8) so I'd probably go for the Flight Nurse.

#4 Allan H.

Allan H.
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151
  • 5,233 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:01 AM

Hey Mort! What are those CBI patches? Patches for ants?!?!  :lol: 

I'm re-posting the photo of the CBI patches so people can see them. 200 pixels is just too small.

I'd buy the Free Thai patch. It is OSS related and in outstanding condition. It also better aligns with my collection than the CBI examples. The three CBI patches, while interesting and rare, show some soiling and damage. 

Allan

Attached Images

• CBI.jpg

#5 BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,207
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:39 AM

I would go with world report 1st, I've never seen one before, second is the free thai. I've seen other examples of the other CBI patches. But since I don't have any of them, anyone of them would make a nice addition.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

#6 Kadet

Kadet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 110
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:45 AM

Free Thai all day long for me

#7 Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,800
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

Topics such as this shouldn't be posted.The answer is already implied in the original post that the CBI patches are the answer. Anyone who thinks different is already starting at a disadvantage and because of this no one posts any diverging views. As such unknowing collectors go about believing the CBI patches are 100% A-ok. I'd argue the prudent collector would choose the Free Thai patch because in my personal opinion all 3 CBI patches are all fake. 

The first obvious red flag is the pictures are utter trash. This has been argued many times before as not a reason to write a patch off as fake, but it WILL keep some buyers back and that is a widely known fact here on the forum. 

The second obvious red flag is the rather prominent staining on the front of the patches. In all my years and my fathers I can never say that I have saw staining so consistent across several pieces that were real. Not to mention that the staining was caused by some sort of moisture...which somehow magically didn't cause any corrosion to bullion....highly suspect. 

All of the above could easily be explained away. So I will go more into detail.

Almost without exception all CBI patches when done in bullion have all of the white sections done in bullion. These fail to do that. The only exceptions that I can immediately think of are the ones with the false embroidery metal stars.Those don't really count. Worse woven style patches like these usually don't have bullion accents. They are encountered, on relative terms, much less frequently. They do exist and I have borrowed an image of an embroidered piece with bullion to highlight that this piece follows the same concept of white being done in bullion. 

Again the pictures from the listing are utterly horrible, but it appears the top sections may even be sewn to the bottom sections...not unseen, but I've never seen it done like that on any piece I gave full confidence. 

The thing that really does it in for me though is the bullion itself. This bullion appears to have a slight yellow tinge which is indicative of a varnish of some sort. I have never seen this on original pieces and is usually indicative of modern made pieces to prevent tarnish. Almost all original CBI pieces will show some sort of tarnish to the bullion. Even the ones that don't seem inconsistent with these IMHO. Please keep in mind that India still makes many bullion textiles to this day and the styles are relatively unchanged but some of the materials are. 

It gets worse. World Report pertains to a magazine. A magazine that was founded in 1946. I understand that it could be an occupation piece, but you'd have to buy the story that a brand new start up magazine would have the funds to pay for a liaison to go to the far east and then that one individual make the patch. I don't buy it. Sorry. World Report History

I wouldn't buy these patches. I could be wrong, but the mere fact that I even question these means other people do too and explain why these patches did not reach the reserve. 

The person who buys these will have to get the next person to believe they are real and at a very high price. Real or not this person will be hard to find 

Best ABN

Attached Images

• CBI 1.jpg

Edited by Airborne-Hunter, 01 November 2017 - 08:41 AM.

#8 ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme
  • Members
    • Member ID: 122,868
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

airborne-hunter

I started this thread with better photos. Please post as much as you want there. I did not want to copy and paste your info there without your permission. 

Edited by ocsfollowme, 01 November 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#9 mortaydc60

mortaydc60
  • Members
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

Allan thanks for reposting the CBI pics. Airborne-Hunter brings up some good points concerning the CBI patches which I assumed were good and you are the first on the forum to question the authenticity of the group. If you are correct than the question has no basis in fact. Perhaps the real question should be are the patches real? Airborne-hunter however makes the wrong assumption in thinking that the implied answer was in the CBI group which by the way is completely incorrect. Wanted to wait before I give my answer/opinion to hear from more members and wish to wait to hear more choices and also if you believe the CBI group to be fake. Oh by the way there could be many reasons that the group did not meet it's reserve besides your explaination that others thought it was fake,like maybe it was way over valued by more than 100% which is more likely explanation.

#10 mortaydc60

mortaydc60
  • Members
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

Checked out the post that Steve had made just concerning the CBI patches by themselves, which was excellent. Scotty presented examples of very similar if not duplicates of the CBI patches that were fake. This makes my question irrevelant with one of the choices being eliminated. But for information sake if and a big IF,that the CBI were good pieces the nugget of knowledge you need to know was that even if real the Red Cross is at best $350 and tha other two maybe 450 to 500 each. The Red Cross version is not common but you see these at shows. The other two if real would be very nice but has a limited collecting appeal compared to an OSS related patch which has much more cashe' and easily commands double or triple the price of any of the CBI variants. The answer is the Free Thai patch is the correct choice.

#11 Timberwolf

Timberwolf
  • Members
    • Member ID: 19,184
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

I'd go with the Flight nurse one as I am a nurse by trade lol!

#12 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

I'm in for the flight Nurse one too, as I also collect women's stuff.

#13 mortaydc60

mortaydc60
  • Members
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

Have been in contact with a very knowledgeable CBI collector who is maybe the best in the field and his opinion is they are REPROS. With the opinions mixed but many leaning toward REPRO thank the gods that the reserve was not meet on ebay. Again my question was assuming that the patches were OK, which would you pick and would you purchase that pick or the Free Thai patch. Hands down the call is the OSS Free Thai.

#14 all-bull

all-bull
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,063
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

Has anyone done any research on where any of the CBI patches originated from? Veterans? Old collections? Flea markets?

What about attributed comparables?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users