General Richard Cavazos

12A54

Today General Richard Cavazos passed away at the age of 88. As an Aide de Camp I was privileged to visit him with my boss for a few days at his home in Texas, enjoying dinners and fascinating conversations about his past service and his ongoing contributions to the Army even in retirement. He was a kind, caring, and gracious man who was one of the greatest leaders the Army has seen since WWII. (Medal collectors will be interested to know that he had his DSC (with oak leaf cluster) hanging (along with other medals) crookedly from a nail in a door jamb in his home office.)

During our visit, he asked me to drive separately to dinner as he wanted some private time with my boss, a Major General. I am certain that during that drive he told my boss of his promotion to Lieutenant General and appointment to Corps Command. Such was the influence and role he sill played in retirement.

In the following years I worked with him on Warfighter exercises during which he mentored General officers as they commanded their Divisions in wargame simulations. He was coaching and teaching our most senior leaders for many years after he took off the uniform and our successes in the Balkans and beyond were influenced by his mentorship.

From the posting that I just read announcing his passing: “As a young Mexican-American lieutenant, he commanded a mostly segregated company of Puerto Rican soldiers in the Korean War, where his courage in combat earned him the Silver Star and Distinguished Service Cross. He commanded a battalion of the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam where his valor earned him an incredible second Distinguished Service Cross. He ended his 33-year Army career as the first and only Hispanic 4-star general. His death will not make the evening news, but he was probably one of our greatest soldiers.”

post-9621-0-16577300-1509319028_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Army_Pilot1967

When I completed Command and General Staff College in 1981, I was assigned to Fort Hood, TX, and General Cavazos was the Corps Commander. It was his policy to talk with all incoming officers (it might have been incoming officers that had completed CGSC). Three of us were summoned to Corps Headquarters to be introduced to the general. Before we went into his office his aide told us not to ask any questions but to sit there and listen. I thought that a bit odd, but hey, I guess that's what the general wanted. We went into his office, took seats and listen to him for about ten minutes. I can't tell you what he talked about because it was so long ago. I left his office without forming a real opinion of him. I was aware of his exploits because it was common knowledge back then. That was my only contact with him. Coincidentally I looked him up online about a month or so ago and apparently he was okay at the time...I was surprised because of his age and the wear/tear of being in the military so long.

Rest in Peace, General Cavazos!

Thank you for your life of service General, and rest in much-deserved peace.

Citation from his first DSC, awarded September 10, 1953:

The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Richard E. Cavazos (O-64593), First Lieutenant (Infantry), U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy of the United Nations while as Company Commander of Company E, 2d Battalion, 65th Infantry Regiment, 3d Infantry Division. First Lieutenant Cavazos distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism in action against enemy aggressor forces in the vicinity of Sagimak, Korea, on the night of 14 June 1953. On that date, Lieutenant Cavazos led his men in a raid on the entrenched enemy upon whom heavy casualties were inflicted. When a heavy barrage was laid on the position by the enemy, Lieutenant Cavazos withdrew the company and regrouped his men. Lieutenant Cavazos three times led the company through the heavy barrage in assaults on the enemy position, each time destroying vital enemy equipment and personnel. When the United Nations element was ordered to withdraw, Lieutenant Cavazos remained alone on the enemy outpost to search the area for missing men. Exposed to heavy hostile fire, Lieutenant Cavazos located five men who had been wounded in the action. He evacuated them, one at a time, to a point on the reverse slope of the hill from which they could be removed to the safety of the friendly lines. Lieutenant Cavazos then made two more trips between the United Nations position and the enemy-held hill searching for casualties and evacuating scattered groups of men who had become confused. Not until he was assured that the hill was cleared did he allow treatment of his own wounds sustained during the action."

Citation from second DSC, awarded December 17, 1967:

“The Distinguished Service Cross (First Oak Leaf Cluster) is presented to Richard E. Cavazos, Lieutenant Colonel (Infantry), U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam, while serving with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 18th Infantry, 3d Brigade, 1st Infantry Division. Lieutenant Colonel Cavazos distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous actions on 30 October 1967 while, as battalion commander, he led his unit on a search and destroy operation in a large rubber plantation near Loc Ninh. One of his companies was making a reconnaissance when it suddenly began receiving heavy fire from a Viet Cong battalion in well-entrenched positions on the slope of a hill. Colonel Cavazos immediately led his other elements forward and engaged the enemy forces as they began assaulting the company. Constantly exposed to savage hostile fire and shrapnel from exploding grenades, he moved among his troops directing a counterattack. As the Viet Cong broke contact and fled to their fortified positions on the hillside, Colonel Cavazos called for air strikes and artillery fire on the crest and forward slopes of the hill in order to cut off the insurgents' line of retreat. When the fighting reached such close quarters that supporting fire could no longer be used, he completely disregarded his own safety and personally led a determined assault on the enemy positions. The assault was carried out with such force and aggressiveness that the Viet Cong were overrun and fled their trenches. Colonel Cavazos then directed artillery fire on the hilltop, and the insurgents were destroyed as they ran. His brilliant leadership in the face of grave danger resulted in maximum enemy casualties and the capture of many hostile weapons. Lieutenant Colonel Cavazos' extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army."

Salvage Sailor
Silver Star Citation
Awarded for actions during the Korean War

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to First Lieutenant (Infantry) Richard E. Cavazos (ASN: 0-64593), United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving with Company E, 2d Battalion, 65th Infantry Regiment, 3d Infantry Division. During the early morning hours of 25 February 1953, Company E, of which Lieutenant Cavazos was a platoon leader, was attacked by a large enemy force in the vicinity of Sangdong-Ni, Korea. The friendly company repulsed the hostile assault and inflicted numerous casualties. By the light of a flare, Lieutenant Cavazos observed an enemy soldier lying wounded not far to the front of his position. He requested and obtained permission to lead a small force to secure the prisoner. Intense enemy mortar and small arms fire completely blanketed the route to be covered. Nevertheless, Lieutenant Cavazos, with complete disregard for his personal safety, continued alone through the enemy fire to capture and return with the enemy soldier. Lieutenant Cavazos' outstanding gallantry and devotion to duty reflect great credit upon himself and the military service.

General Orders: Headquarters, 3d Infantry Division, General Orders No. 194 ( June 18, 1953)

Action Date: February 25, 1953

Service: Army

Company: Company E
Battalion: 2d Battalion
Regiment: 65th Infantry Regiment
Division: 3d Infantry Division

Salvage Sailor

"...a gifted leader, the second-highest decorated officer in the Korean War..."

Obit: Cavazos, the Army’s first Hispanic four-star general, dies in S.A. at 88

By Sig Christenson Updated 9:37 pm, Monday, October 30, 2017

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Cavazos-the-Army-s-first-Hispanic-four-star-12318744.php

• 4 years later...

Cavazos In 80-81 was the III Corps Commander when I was at Hood in The Cav, III Corps HQ at being at Hood. He once drove past me when I was out and around on the Main Post in the early summer of 1980, I saluted his Flag, as a little Private  I think we're suppose to do that, so I threw out a smart one.

Here he is in 1961

cavasos 610007.jpg