96th BG POW souvenirs....SS cut offs, etc.

USCapturephotos

USCapturephotos

Seeing all of the incredible souvenirs other forum members have posted inspired me to post a group I acquired earlier this year. It surfaced at an estate sale in Massachusetts. I haven't had time to do real research on the veteran, but his name was William Medill whose plane went down after colliding with another. He was a POW in several Stalags. The group includes many POW letters that his family and friends wrote to him while he was a prisoner as well as the German souvenirs including the uniform removed SS insignia. The 3rd SS collar tab shows heavy wear and is a rare one to see when cut from a uniform. No idea how he got it and wish I knew the story. There are also some booklets...his wife's wartime diary working in a US factory....and sadly a bunch of condolence correspondence in honor of his untimely death in 1955 to his widow. I included one interesting letter from one of his POW buddies talking about how much of an inspiration Bill was. The purple heart case is empty. I have no way of knowing but have a hunch that medal may have gone with him into his grave. Anyway, please enjoy the group as I have. I will be doing more research in the future and please let me know if you have more info on this veteran. Thank you.

Paul

USCapturephotos

Hey guys. Not sure why half the letter keeps posting sideways. Looks good on my end. I tried to edit it to simply turn it. Suggestions?

Paul

I was lucky enough to see this group in person over the summer, and it’s really something. Congrats again Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk