Gilt Insignia, High Collar Officer Uniform

Brian Keith

This US Army Captains uniform was worn by Capt. Daniel J. Dunn, a WW I Veteran. Dunn did not serve overseas. It is known that Capt. Dunn was discharged on 30, Oct. 1920. He may have returned to service in the Regular Army or the New York National Guard. The gilt buttons and insignia were authorized by the Department of the Army in 1923 replacing the darkened bronze worn During WW I. The open lapel was authorized for the Air Service in 1925 and Army wide in 1926. With the post war de-mobilization and the short period of time this uniform was authorized (1923-1926), it is an uncommon uniform.
Collar insignia are the Army Officer US and Quartermaster Corps; they have loops on the back and are sewn on. Ribbons are the World War Victory Medal; State of New York World War Service Medal and the American Legion Membership ribbon.
This uniform was just donated to a museum Im associated with. Thanks for looking, comments welcome!
BKW
post-1549-0-90520500-1509240810.jpg

post-1549-0-66062500-1509240855_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your comments Major Z. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing it. At the time of the regulation change, typically, soldiers changed out the buttons and insignia, still using the WW I style high collar uniform. When the collar regulations changed, they probably all had to get new uniforms after the wear out date. The sew on insignia are unusual. I should have noted my information came from Emerson's Encyclopedia of US Army Insignia and Uniforms, a great book I use often.

Here is his discharge, notice on the reverse he is authorized four Silver War Service Chevrons, they are not on the uniform.

BKW

post-1549-0-92378100-1509298124.jpg

post-1549-0-25549900-1509298150.jpg

Corrected the title. I was trying to think of what kind of insignia a "guilty" person would wear? A scarlet letter, perhaps?

• 6 months later...