Bayonets from storage

remington03a3

remington03a3

These bayonets were cut from the long 1905 bayonets and parkerized and went be stored on Navy ships for use in the ships landing parties. These were never used and are like new. In fact, as you can see by the pictures, two of them are still in the wrapping from storage.

I just never unwrapped them so don't know what year they are or who made them. I assume the handles are the plastic. But never unwrapped them.

The info markings on these shown :

1. UFH 2.S.A. 3.S.A.

Bursting Bomb Bursting bomb Bursting bomb

No date 1918 1908

No ser# 6 digit ser# 6 digit ser#

Wooden handle

I posted these here because of the knowledge of those who post here and ask for help to determine what I have. I feel a collector would know the value. Because of the excellent condition I have been reluctant to just sell them til I had an idea of just how rare/valuable they are.

They are not beaters and have no dings or been used to open Crats with. I have had them for at least

50 years and want to find out what I can about them. Can anyone help. Thanks.

Semper Fi!

post-172734-0-16097100-1509167928.jpg

post-172734-0-61574500-1509167987.jpg

post-172734-0-41574800-1509168022.jpg

Hi,

Generally, cut down M1s have have cooled a little bit and do not bring as much as a few years back. Now, the nice ones go for $100-200. What you have here would be on the high side of that. They could go higher, just depends on who's looking at them.

The UFH bayonet cut down is likely a spear point. As you know the fuller on each of these cut downs runs through the tip. Examine the UFH to see if there is a deviation in the depth of the fuller near the tip. It may become shallower in the last 2 inches. When UFH made the new made M1 bayonets, sometimes they simply used blanks that were intended to be used for the long garand bayonet, M1905/42. The blades were cut down, and the fuller was finished to a point 2 inches short of the tip and the rest of the forged fuller was polished smooth. I can't say they bring a premium, but they are harder to find sometimes and are quite interesting.

The cut down 1908 might have a bowie point tip, because of the square fuller. People like that shape. I noticed that it still retains its wooden grips. That is uncommon since most cut downs have plastic grips.

The 1918 cut down is very interesting, not because of the date, but because of the grips. They look to be brown grips with a black rectangle in the center. If so, these are grips originally went to the Wilde Tool Co. (WT) long garand bayonet. The price on these grips have sky rocketed. in the past months. The grips alone are selling for $200 plus. Some are listed on ebay for $500-600, (they never sell for that).

The mystery bayonets in their original wax paper coverings are really great, however, it's hard to put a price on them because people are afraid to pay too much for what might be disappointing surprise. Personally, I would put a high price on them and see if someone bites. I have no reason to assume there are any problems with them, but you never know.

Hope this helps.

Marv

remington03a3

Marv,

Thanks for the information on the bayonets. It is exactly what I was looking for and very helpful. I felt all along they were a cut (no pun intended) above the run of the mill ones that can be found.

The UFH cutdown is a spear point and the fuller is as you describe. The 1918 cutdown does have the black triangle, that I had not noticed or even looked for till you pointed it out. Was there a purpose for this that you know of?

The 1908 does have a bowie tip. I will forward a photo of the tips.

The wax paper pair I may just leave wrapped until I get curious.

Again, Thanks very much for sharing you knowledge about the items. It was very informative and a great help.

Semper Fi! Joe

remington03a3

Marv,

Go figger....just tried to post photos of the points of the bayonets and, of course, I get an " image too big" thingee....

Jeeeze, I just sent the flics of the bayonets w/ no problem. I have no idea how to send them now. Maybe later.

How can that be? I just sent them...same camera, same files.....

Semper Fi! Joe

Hi,

I resize my pictures on a free site called Foto Fixer. All those sites take a while to get the hang of.

The WT grips are thought to have been made by a sub-contractor of Wilde Tool. No real reason has been advanced as to why it was made with the black "insert". Are both grips WT? If so, that's a real plus.

I think that as long as those wax paper covered bayonets were in my collection, I wouldn't open them. I wonder if there is a sneaky way to heat the paper and melt the waxy parts and carefully remove the paper. Then put it back the way it was.

Marv

remington03a3

Marv,

Just spent about a half hour trying it again w/ no luck. I think it is me not really knowing what I'm doing. If you would like , I can email you the photos of the points and of the 1905 17 in. bayonet I have with the canvas and leather scabbard. By phone or email I can do.

Just let me know.

Semper Fi! Joe

Marv,

Go figger....just tried to post photos of the points of the bayonets and, of course, I get an " image too big" thingee....

Jeeeze, I just sent the flics of the bayonets w/ no problem. I have no idea how to send them now. Maybe later.

How can that be? I just sent them...same camera, same files.....

Semper Fi! Joe

This photo resizing software works minor miracles, especially with large photo batches. I've had really good results from using it.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/112430-free-photo-resizing-software/

remington03a3

Skip,

Not really. Gotta figger in USMC if it don't fit in a seabag, pack or wall locker you ain't toting it around. A bunch of the time I had them I was in garden spots in Asia, Central America, Norway and others and home and family was Conus and a lot of stuff was in storage somewhere. Didn't see it till after retirement was settled. At the point now where it's what stays/what goes. So.......

Ya think you would unwrap? It goes both ways to me. Let someone be surprised and get lucky.

Semper Fi! Joe

I have an M1 bayonet that I bought, and have left it in the wrapper for about 20 years. Saving it for a really rainy day when I might need a morale boost. LOL! SKIP

Are they going up for sale anytime soon? If so where? I need a nice cut down example to add to my collection. Personally I would leave the wrapped ones wrapped and sell them like that. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk