Navy White Top - USS Puget Sound

bryang

Picked this up for a few bucks at today's flea market.

Short sleeves - which I'm not sure if these came this way or if they were shortened by the Sailor who wore this ... who, I might add, had to be pretty damned small. There were two USS Puget Sounds, and I believe this would have been to the Destroyer Tender from the 1960's.

Any input from Navy folks would be appreciated.

Bryan

post-152877-0-06319800-1509159099_thumb.jpg

post-152877-0-75096700-1509159103_thumb.jpg

post-152877-0-06264700-1509159108_thumb.jpg

Old style jumper with a patch pocket still saw a couple of really small guys get these issued in boot camp in '73. The sleeves were cut off after this jumper left the Navy. It would not have been worn like this while still in the Navy.

In the late '60s/early '70s, wearing boys of uniforms was a fashion thing. So someone got hold of this jumper and shortened the sleeves. The other thing that was done often by civilians, was taking a dress blue jumper, slitting it down the front and putting in a zipper like a jacket.

• 1 month later...

And just to clarify, some guys had the zippers added to the side (under the arm, along the seam) while in service too. Otherwise they couldn't get the tight tailored ones over their shoulders to put it on. :lol:

Too bad about the sleeves, looks like it was a nice jumper. Interesting cut (not the shortened sleeves, but the jumper itself), I don't know what the seams are going down the sides (you can see one end right above the pocket. Seems it was added to make it fit differently, perhaps for a woman to wear. Jumper has the external breast pocket, (not the two internal ones found in the 1960s), so must have been a 1950s+ worn jumper?