Medical Corps BOS License Plate Toppers

jmar

Hello all!

I've been narrowing down my collecting focus over the past few years, Army BOS insignia for all medical branches being one of those areas. During this time of shifting my focus I came across these 3 pieces. I was not sure where to post them but I figured that this area might be best. All are nicely made, but the Physical Therapy Corps and Dental Corps sport especially nice enameling, almost looking like stained glass. I have no idea of era, but thought some members might enjoy seeing these unusual pieces. The measure about 3.5 inches across. The PT and Dental Corps have their letters applied as separate pieces (see the reverse views).

If anyone has additional information or, better yet, other examples please add here!

Best wishes to all, thank you for stopping in and reading my post.

Joe

post-48324-0-94082500-1509144848_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Joe

It is always a pleasure to see your posts. Everything is "Top Drawer," thank you for taking the time to share with the forum.

John

Hello John!

I hope you're doing well, it's always nice to hear from you. Thank you for stopping by and for your very kind words. I thought the pieces in this thread were a bit interesting, I'm very glad you noticed!

Best wishes!

Joe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think Firefighter is right, back in the day before doctors weren't corporations and actually made house calls they would put them on their cars and the police would cut them some slack on parking figuring they were there on official business. I have also seen then for RN. It wan't anything in the law more just professional courtesy.

Could very well be, but not sure why a civilian dentist would refer to themselves a Dental Corps "DC", or that a civilian "PT" Physical Therapist would even rate a topper. In the instances that I've seen civilian toppers they usually feature MD or small caduceus, and underneath the "MD" it spells out Medical Doctor, same with clergy, from examples I saw they just spells out "Clergy".

The primary reason, besides those listed above, that I thought these might be military is it that they all have the BOS insignia incorporated, especially the "V" Veterinary Corps.

Any hard facts would be most welcomed!

Best wishes!

Joe

DC is Doctor of Chiropatic.

Any one with a professional license MD, RN, PT, DC, Dentist, etc.. always will want people to know who they are.

Possible, but I always thought that DCs used the winged man symbol, especially since until relatively recently they were not recognized by the medical community.

post-48324-0-83415900-1513719145_thumb.jpg

Regardless it's all speculation on both sides. If anyone finds some historical information on any of the designs please message me! Unfortunately at the present I don't have the time to pursue this mystery any further.

My best to all!

Joe

Possible, but I always thought that DCs used the winged man symbol, especially since until relatively recently they were not recognized by the medical community.

attachicon.gifDC.jpg

Regardless it's all speculation on both sides. If anyone finds some historical information on any of the designs please message me! Unfortunately at the present I don't have the time to pursue this mystery any further.

My best to all!

Joe

They could now. But the ones you posted look to be from around the 40s.

• 8 months later...