5 replies to this topic

#1 huntssurplus

huntssurplus
  • Members
    • Member ID: 165,862
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:57 PM

Hello,

I am looking for items belonging to and/or information about the service of 2 of my ancestors, my grandpa and my great-grandpa. 

My great-grandpa, J.D. Hunt served during WW2 in the Aleutian Islands as an army engineer. My grandpa said that J.D. didn't talk about his service much, but told him of a story when he was building an airfield in the Aleutians and came under heavy Japanese fire. That's when he learned not to volunteer anymore. He was born on October 5th 1918 in Texas and died on May 25th 2004 in Wisconsin. From what I know he served from July 15th 1940 - September 27th 1945, so he served the entire war. I am not sure what J.D. stood for but I know he went by Jack his entire life. Any help is appreciated.

My Grandpa, James Hunt, I know little of his service. He is still alive but didn't keep anything from his time in the air force. He served in the 1950's post Korean War but pre Vietnam war and other then that I know very little. He was born on January 9th 1940. I know he was in north Africa, Libya I believe but that's it. 

Thanks,

Hunt

Edited by huntssurplus, 25 October 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#2 stratasfan

stratasfan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,812
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

Well, I can tell you what the "J.D." stands for . . . "J.D."! Here is his Birth Certificate:

JD Hunt TX bc f.JPG

Apparently, his parents just named him "JD" and called him "Jack". Mom's Grampa was "H.C." Just the initials, no names to go with it. They ended up calling him "Pete", though! ;)

PM on the way.

#3 huntssurplus

huntssurplus
  • Members
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:21 PM

Wow this is cool! Thanks for helping out!  I replied to the PM

Thanks

Hunt

#4 squidney86

squidney86
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 172,111
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:05 AM

Names like J.D. with no actual meaning must not have been uncommon for the times. My greatgrandfather, who was WWII Bomber crew chief, his name was I.G. He also had a brother named R.O. Nice to see someone else had this in their lineage!
Sydney

#5 huntssurplus

huntssurplus
  • Members
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:10 AM

Names like J.D. with no actual meaning must not have been uncommon for the times. My greatgrandfather, who was WWII Bomber crew chief, his name was I.G. He also had a brother named R.O. Nice to see someone else had this in their lineage!
Sydney

Sorry for taking so long to respond but yeah they definitely seem to have been common. I am about to send out the records request letters to the National Archives soon so I’ll update on that soon!

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 huntssurplus

huntssurplus
  • Members
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Thought I would bump this up, it turns out my grandfathers records were destroyed in the fire! He actually told me today that he remembered getting a call about it and how my grandmother was worried about him getting drafted for Vietnam lol! Well I guess we'll see if they have anything left!

Hunt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users