Brother's grouping: 504th PIR and 243rd FAB

Timberwolf

Hey all!

Just purchased this grouping to a pair of brothers. Edward served in "A" Company 504th PIR which earned the PUC on April 6th, 1945 crossing the Rhine River, he was wounded the day after on the 7th. This jacket has a killer set of jump wings, been after an ike with a star on the oval for a while. He was a post Market Garden replacement having earned his wings on October 28th of '44. His brother Charles Jr. served in a unknown capacity in the 243rd FAB which was unique as it was one of 8 battalions equipped with 8" M1 guns.

post-19184-0-81813200-1508701217_thumb.jpg

post-19184-0-60950000-1508701537_thumb.jpg

post-19184-0-05690700-1508701573_thumb.jpg

Sweet set. The 504 Iike has a great patina. What's with the paracord shoelace tag? Is that a common term for something, was it ever really done, or was the family mistaken about paracord vs shoe laces?

Dave

Neat group- the only part I don't follow is why there is a star on his wings if he was a post- MG replacement; did he jump in Varsity?

Kyle

Neat group- the only part I don't follow is why there is a star on his wings if he was a post- MG replacement; did he jump in Varsity?

Kyle

That's my thought as well. His discharge docs don't list any invasion credit, my guess was to make his wing stand out more? This did come direct from the family this past month (purchased it from my collecting mentor who does buying shows).

That's a great 504th PIR Ike Jacket you have got there I like it.. thanks for sharing

I would say he added those wings to his Ike prior to coming home

just my opinion going by his records he wasn't entitled to wear the star on those wings

as no invasion listed on the documents.

That is a very nice group, and it would be interesting to see his records and discharge document. That jump document is one of the best parts. This was the type given to men who were awarded their wings in England, and is rare.

That is a very nice group, and it would be interesting to see his records and discharge document. That jump document is one of the best parts. This was the type given to men who were awarded their wings in England, and is rare.

Thanks Andy! I'm glad you picked up on the significance of the jump certificate. As requested here is a pic of the discharge papers, along with a closeup of the Gavin signed jump doc.

post-19184-0-61612400-1508717834_thumb.jpg

post-19184-0-88872500-1508717847_thumb.jpg

What's with the red rope .

That is the fourragere to the Belgian Croix de Guerre, but the finial has been removed. While these fourrageres looked like a million bucks on the uniform, they were unpopular with the guys who had to wear them. I have had several WWII veterans tell me that they constantly got snagged on things and when a soldier turned around too fast, the tips of the fourrageres would whip around and sometimes hit the soldier in the face! It is not that uncommon to find these cords with the metal tips removed.

Timberwolf- it is interesting that the lapels have been pierced with clutch back collar brass. This is sometimes seen worn on occupation era uniforms, but is usually a bit later that you see them doubled up like that. They look like the second set was recently removed. Was there extra insignia that came with the group? What do you think?

Allan

That is the fourragere to the Belgian Croix de Guerre, but the finial has been removed. While these fourrageres looked like a million bucks on the uniform, they were unpopular with the guys who had to wear them. I have had several WWII veterans tell me that they constantly got snagged on things and when a soldier turned around too fast, the tips of the fourrageres would whip around and sometimes hit the soldier in the face! It is not that uncommon to find these cords with the metal tips removed.

Timberwolf- it is interesting that the lapels have been pierced with clutch back collar brass. This is sometimes seen worn on occupation era uniforms, but is usually a bit later that you see them doubled up like that. They look like the second set was recently removed. Was there extra insignia that came with the group? What do you think?

Allan

Allan,

The set that is on the upper lapels were on the bottom, I made that change. Oddly enough the upper lapels were pierced for screwback brass.

It would be interesting to request his record to see if more info is available. I'm curious what unit he was in prior to the 82nd. He arrived in the ETO early enough to have made the Holland jump, despite the date on the jump document. Rhineland was also the campaign credit given for Market-Garden. Arrowheads for invasion credit are sometimes not included on discharge documents for whatever reason.

To add a bit more context; as a later replacement, he was retained in the 504th for occupation duty postwar, hence the white laces. A white scarf and gloves would have completed the outfit. He returned home with the 82nd in early 1946 and probably marched in the famous NYC victory parade wearing this uniform. The men who left the Army from separation centers had their documents typed by admin clerks that were literally processing thousands of people. Mistakes and omissions are common on these documents. Different centers also had different SOPs. Note also that his jump wings and CIB are not listed. If his record still exists, it will have a lot more detail. Great group!

Andy thanks for the context on that! I figured that was the case, I know I've seen other d/c papers that lacked certain qualifications like jump wings to fully ID'ed AB vets. I'm definitely going to get this guy's file along with his brothers.

In a roundabout way I suppose. Sometimes you see jump school listed under service schools along with the date and number of weeks. Also, sometimes the wings and CIB are listed by the complete name of the award

It seems this clerk was quite thorough, at least with respect to qualifications, as he filled up the single line in part 31, and used the * to continue it in the remarks column. Personally, I would be surprised if this soldier received invasion credit because by 1946, the arrowhead as a ribbon device had been out awhile, and appropriate campaigns give invasion credit. Stranger things have occurred, of course.

Kyle