230th AAA Search Light Btn. footlocker grouping enlisted to 1st Lt.

P-59A

I picked up this foot locker grouping yesterday. First off it has allot of period papers not related to military service. Insurance policy, checking, social security cards, wedding related items, family photo's etc. It came with the foot locker, what do I do with it?

post-169522-0-64078200-1508626463.jpg

post-169522-0-51960900-1508626472_thumb.jpg

I have several shirts. Based on the papers he enlisted in 1942 and as a Sgt. went to OCS and was minted a 2nd Lt. in 1944. After the war he was Army Reserve until the early 1950's. The shirts are WW2 to post war. I have no idea what the red and white hour glass patch is.

post-169522-0-11632000-1508626823_thumb.jpg

post-169522-0-81193500-1508626848_thumb.jpg

This paper dates WW2 era and a calender. I need to find a better way of photographing the papers so you can read them. I will post more when I figure this out.

post-169522-0-15405400-1508627419.jpg

post-169522-0-26611100-1508627437_thumb.jpg

I know this is hard to read and I will post it again after I get better photo's, but it states 11 months overseas in the Pacific theater and that he oversaw a radar outfit with the 230th. He was authorized the Philippine liberation with one star, Asiatic Pacific, American Theater and WW2 Victory medal.

post-169522-0-55379500-1508627682.jpg

I have a number of these photo's. They are all of Ryukyu Island. The photo's have different dates of when they were taken, they all have a Lat Lon and a description.

post-169522-0-06493200-1508629104_thumb.jpg

The sad thing about this sort of thing is that it's really not worth all too much, in comparison to the burden of properly storing it away in a collection. You want to keep it together to do the right thing...but at some point...it takes up a ton of room and other than preserving a historical "niche" (e.g. not an investment or anything like that) you have to decide what to do with it.

I was offered (for free) three banana boxes of similar paper from one of the men I wrote about in my book. The family no longer wanted to keep it all. I turned them down...I simply don't have the room, interest, or bandwidth to properly take care of what might have amounted to maybe $75 worth of old paper.

Sad, but true...

The sad thing about this sort of thing is that it's really not worth all too much, in comparison to the burden of properly storing it away in a collection. You want to keep it together to do the right thing...but at some point...it takes up a ton of room and other than preserving a historical "niche" (e.g. not an investment or anything like that) you have to decide what to do with it.

I was offered (for free) three banana boxes of similar paper from one of the men I wrote about in my book. The family no longer wanted to keep it all. I turned them down...I simply don't have the room, interest, or bandwidth to properly take care of what might have amounted to maybe $75 worth of old paper.

Sad, but true...

I agree with you totally. I do not have the room either, but I also know if I didn't pick it up it would be heading to the dump. I know most of the guys dumped the every day papers after they got out. Things like this give an insight to what it was like for one guy in one place at one time in history. I picked it up at the right price, but now I am looking at a hundred dollars plus to put every page in plastic sleeves and then I will need notebooks to keep them in and then find the time to sort by date every paper. I think I may have found a relative and with a little luck they will take the family photo's and papers. That would leave only the military related items. I hope!

I talked to Felix's brothers son today. Felix had two kids and they did not have kids. The daughter is still alive, but up in years. The guy I talked to is going to talk to her and if she has no interest he would like the family photo's and papers. He has no real interest in the military stuff. That is a load off my mind!

I have a number of these photo's. They are all of Ryukyu Island. The photo's have different dates of when they were taken, they all have a Lat Lon and a description.

I found out what the photo's are. When the war broke out the government asked people to send in any vacation or family photo's with known locations and dates. These photo's were then used to get an idea of what places looked like and assess places of interest. An Artillery unit would have used them to have a better understanding of what a location that could be a target looked like.