WWII KIA Submarine Group

Brian from Columbus

Sorry, changed my mind. Launch Souvenirs. Is this something the family would have generally kept or is it more likely that someone added these in over the past 75 years?

Quite probably kept by the family. If he was on the precomissioning crew of the sub, he probably got these and left them at home since there would have been no point in taking them on patrol.

Combat patrol badge with 1 star. The sub was lost on its first patrol. So would this even be accurate? Would the crew have received this posthumously? Or is this an "addition"?

Submarine combat patrol pins were awarded posthumously, so this is not at all a surprise.

An officer's "dolphin" badge. Would a fireman first class have been considered and officer?

I've seen officer's dolphins end up in enlisted KIA groups now five times that come to mind. Personally, I think because there was no metal dolphin for the enlisted, these were sometimes presented to the family posthumously...not officially by the Navy, but I've seen it so many times so far to brush it off as somehow "added" to the group at some point along the way.

Overall, this is a superb, complete, group!!!

Brian Great grouping Rip Sailor. There is a book out might that interest you written by Commander Coe's daughter(USS Cisco's Commander) called "Full Fathom Five". Has some interesting thing about the loss of USS Cisco.

Mark

I've seen officer's dolphins end up in enlisted KIA groups now five times that come to mind. Personally, I think because there was no metal dolphin for the enlisted, these were sometimes presented to the family posthumously...not officially by the Navy, but I've seen it so many times so far to brush it off as somehow "added" to the group at some point along the way.

Overall, this is a superb, complete, group!!!

I've had several enlisted groups that included officer dolphins.

Combat patrol badge with 1 star. The sub was lost on its first patrol. So would this even be accurate? Would the crew have received this posthumously? Or is this an "addition"?

The question is if his final war patrol was his only one. Ive seen KIA patrol pin awards, but if your pin was awarded that way it should lack the star. He may have been awarded the pin for a prior patrol on another boat.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian from Columbus

The question is if his final war patrol was his only one. Ive seen KIA patrol pin awards, but if your pin was awarded that way it should lack the star. He may have been awarded the pin for a prior patrol on another boat.

I have gathered up records and researches Genoozis' time in the navy. The only other submarine that he was on (that I can confirm) was the USS R-2. This was a WWI era sub that appears to have been linked with a sonar school and did occasional defensive patrols. I didn't see any indication that it would have been awarded a combat star.

Brian from Columbus

Brian Great grouping Rip Sailor. There is a book out might that interest you written by Commander Coe's daughter(USS Cisco's Commander) called "Full Fathom Five". Has some interesting thing about the loss of USS Cisco.

Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the recommendation. I will try and give that a look when I have some time.

Gold Star Pin. Is this something the family would have purchased?

Here's the skinny on the Gold Star pins. Gratuitously furnished by the government on written request at no cost to: Widow, widower, mother, father, stepmother, stepfather, mother through adoption and father through adoption of a KIA PH recipient. It could be purchased at cost by: son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, son by adoption, daughter by adoption, brother, sister, half brother and half sister. The government would engrave initials on the back for either category on request. The requestor had the option of a pin joint with safety catch or clutch back variant. Which is yours and does it have initials?

Interesting that the proverbial "nephew" and "great-nephew" did not rate a Gold Star pin from Uncle Sam under either category, much less cousins, second cousins once removed, etc. :dry:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/97814-wwii-gold-star-mothers-pin-information/

Brian from Columbus

Here's the skinny on the Gold Star pins. Gratuitously furnished by the government on written request at no cost to: Widow, widower, mother, father, stepmother, stepfather, mother through adoption and father through adoption of a KIA PH recipient. It could be purchased at cost by: son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, son by adoption, daughter by adoption, brother, sister, half brother and half sister. The government would engrave initials on the back for either category on request. The requestor had the option of a pin joint with safety catch or clutch back variant. Which is yours and does it have initials?

Interesting that the proverbial "nephew" and "great-nephew" did not rate a Gold Star pin from Uncle Sam under either category, much less cousins, second cousins once removed, etc. :dry:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/97814-wwii-gold-star-mothers-pin-information/

Safety catch. No initials.

post-157366-0-11360000-1509856754_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another classic WW II grouping from the Silent Service! Tragic that their submarine was lost. Love the engraving on the purple heart.

• 3 weeks later...

Just caught up to this post. First, great grouping. Second, in answer to your question...Admiral Lockwood's practice was to award the combat insignia in absentia to those sailors who perished on lost boats. This award was sometimes accompanied by a signed letter from him discussing the actions of the sub at the time of loss. As for the pin with star (for 2 patrols deemed successful), it may be your sailor served on another sub prior to Cisco.