WWII KIA Submarine Group

Brian from Columbus

Brian from Columbus

I was finally able to obtain this, but have a few questions.

I will post them along the way...

Anthony Michael Genoozis

Fireman First Class

Born:: 4-16-16 Corinth, Greece

Sub: USS Cisco

Sub was lost on 9-28-43 in the Sulu Sea

post-157366-0-87068500-1508596139_thumb.jpg

Brian from Columbus

3 versions of the New Testament, one is Greek and dated 1950 (probably added in by the family?)

post-157366-0-72053400-1508596635_thumb.jpg

Brian from Columbus

Combat patrol badge with 1 star. The sub was lost on its first patrol. So would this even be accurate? Would the crew have received this posthumously? Or is this an "addition"?

post-157366-0-75443300-1508596934_thumb.jpg

Brian from Columbus

Sorry, changed my mind. Launch Souvenirs. Is this something the family would have generally kept or is it more likely that someone added these in over the past 75 years?

post-157366-0-55400900-1508597231_thumb.jpg

Nice set. I read a little and it's an interesting story. I would guess the reprinted photo to be the right one but can't tell without inspection. If not made from a negative then it would have to be photographed or digitally scanned. Could be very old so similarly aged. Should be easier to tell by the surface emulsion or the type of paper and condition.

That grouping would certainly make for a nice display. Any story you can share of how you obtained the set?

Dave

stealthytyler

Photo on right is latest copy. It's much darker. You can't go from dark to a lifter scan and bring back that much detail in his tie without major quality issues.

Brian from Columbus

Thanks.

Short version is that it went up for sale in a small auction after a local collector unexpectedly passed away.

Both photos are very old. My thought is the family had a second one made after he passed away. Thus there are probably only a handful of years between the two of them being made.

Wow-- great grouping!

Both images could be period made from same negative. Perhaps the sailor was not happy with the light or dark image and asked for another or had several made and these are the ones that remained.

I deal in antique images and have often encountered groups from this era where prints have differences in contrast.

scott

The Gold Dolphins a would not have been authorized for a Petty Officer.

. Enlisted men wore an embroidered insignia sewn on the outside of the right sleeve, midway between the wrist and elbow. The device was two and three-quarters inches long, embroidered in white silk for blue clothing and vice versa.

I would think the Combat Patrol Pin was added at a later date. They were not awarded before missions.

Terrific grouping - thanks for posting. I am of Greek descent so this has a special resonance for me! Zoi se sas, na ton thimaste

Very best,

Bill K.

Photos. One is darker than the other. Any thoughts on which is the copy?

They might have been made from the same negative but were developed differently. Not a big deal...finding multiples of photos is pretty common.