Numbered USMC campaign medal grouping with China relief expedition and Philippine insurrection medals!

NKina91

I recently found this awesome grouping in a small botique shop here in Maryland. Numbered USMC China relief medal number 234, USMC Philippine insurrection medal numbered 654, a wwi victory medal, the 2 ribbons for the campaigns before the wwi victory medal was awarded, his dog tags, his sterling silver bracelet, his 1st LT bar, and his DUI. We identified him through the numbers as Oscar J Myers. He joined the USMC in the late 1800s and served for the campaigns and ended up in the Army for wwi. In the usmc he was in A company, 3rd battalion, 2nd regiment and spent a lot of time on the USS Wilmington. Once he was in the army he was a first lieutenant in the 34th infantry, 3rd anti aircraft MG. I found him on ancestory and a bunch of his original documents from when he was in China and when he was in the army. Let me know what you think!

post-2204-0-81174600-1508594498.jpeg

That's a well-preserved keeper. And you've barely scratched the surface of their potential for enhancement through research and writing, if you're so inclined. Having a group with the service history of Oscar Meyers is something to relish. .

Oscar Myers any connection to the hot dogs?

I wish lol. That would have made it even better. But no this Oscar worked for the war dept in DC after his service instead of making hot dogs haha.

That is a find-and-a-half for sure! The type of find almost all collectors would like to stumble across. Good for you! Don't know what you paid, but am comfortable saying these are worth a lot more than that! Congrats!!!

• 1 year later...

Nice early low numbered medals.

I hope that since 2017 the buyer skiviper found a lot of info on Oscar Myers.

Regards

Herman

Nice early low numbered medals.

I hope that since 2017 the buyer skiviper found a lot of info on Oscar Myers.

Regards

Herman

A whole ton of info has been found including records of him aboard the USS Wilimington, his enlistment info for the Marines and the Army for WWi, and his internment records of where he is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. I will upload some of his files here tomorrow!