Named/Dated/Class Engraved SSgt Pilot Wing - Returned to family

stratasfan

Stumbled across this when it came up as a suggested item on an eBay search. Thought I'd share it, as I've never seen one engraved like this. Has the Rank, Initials, Last Name, Class number, and date all engraved on the back of a 3" Pilot Wing.

Let alone being engraved, it is an enlisted pilot, which I thought was cool. I've never run across an enlisted pilot, myself. An enlisted Bombardier, but never a pilot. I have a copy of a letter that my GGGUncle wrote from Alaska. He was trying to get into enlisted pilot school, but the paper work was taking so long, he was reaching the age limit. He was telling his Aunt that he figured that was OK, as there would be a bigger call for skilled mechanics when he got home from the war anyway.

Anyway, back to this cool wing - turns out the guy went on to serve in Korea and Vietnam and rose to Lt. Colonel!

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=spaduzzi&GSfn=r&GSmn=f&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSob=n&GRid=3372705&df=all&

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Named-WWII-Army-Air-Corps-Flying-Sergeant-Wing-WW2-AAF-Sterling-/382024803080?hash=item58f273e308:g:gqcAAOSwA29Y36~e

Not that I could consider buying this, just plain curiosity . . . is $500 a fair price for a wing like this? Just wondering. Never seen an engraved wing before.

post-151812-0-31718300-1508447961_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-17517400-1508447968_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-45198100-1508447979_thumb.jpg

post-151812-0-06735700-1508448011.jpg

Here is a photo of Lt. Spaduzzi with his wife, on 14 Feb 1943:

post-151812-0-36934900-1508448337_thumb.jpg

Mr. Spaduzzi was a native of Johnstown, PA. He graduated from the St. Petersburg High School and attended Junior college. He was with the Florida Power corporation in the auditing department before entering the US Air Corps. He graduated from the Advanced Army Flying school at Spence Field, Moultrie, GA.

Here is another photo of Mr. Spaduzzi, taken in 1960 at Goose Bay:

post-151812-0-33356100-1508448534_thumb.jpg

Another photo:

post-151812-0-30834500-1508448556_thumb.jpg

Lastly, here is a wedding picture (came from the whole article, but I couldn't get it sized down enough, so just snipped the picture):

post-151812-0-83933900-1508448715_thumb.jpg

On his WWII Draft Registration Card, he had a sallow complexion, blue eyes, brown hair, was 5'9" tall, and weighed 150 lbs.

Oh, here is his high school picture, St. Petersburg HS, Class of 1939:

post-151812-0-83442800-1508448864_thumb.jpg

I researched that wing also....its been for sale for quite a while. The price is a bit high and for some reason I'm a little leery of the engraving...could be wrong but it's just my opinion. Another red flag for me is that the there is a lot of great material out there about the named pilot. I've collected engraved wings for years and the research into finding material has never been this easy. Again, I could be way off base but I have my doubts !

• 9 months later...

I can not thank you enough for putting this on here!!!! That is my GRANDFATHER! Everything on this post is correct, but it is a little scary how easy it was for you to get all of that information online! I've never even seen one of those pictures before.

He was one of only 2500 Staff Sergeants that graduated from flight school during the war. He graduated from Advanced Flight School, got married the next day, & quickly headed to the Atlantic Theater as a 2LT. He had a long, illustrious career & flew in 3 wars.

His 2nd wife gave his Command Pilot Wings back to the Air Force after he died. :( I would have never found these if you had not put this post together. I was able to communicate with the person selling them, and purchased them for a reduced price to keep them in the family. He was very gracious, & I am VERY (tearfully) appreciative.

Thanks again! I really appreciate your time & effort in honoring him!

I researched that wing also....its been for sale for quite a while. The price is a bit high and for some reason I'm a little leery of the engraving...could be wrong but it's just my opinion. Another red flag for me is that the there is a lot of great material out there about the named pilot. I've collected engraved wings for years and the research into finding material has never been this easy. Again, I could be way off base but I have my doubts !

It is all true!! That is my Grandfather! :love: It IS a bit unnerving at how much is out t here about him, though...including all of the pictures. We did not know the wings even existed.