MP Helmet

30-Cal

I don't know a lot about helmets, but I know a lot of you guys do!

Is this one real or a fantasy piece? Anything else you can tell me about it? What era, originality, etc. Thanks!

JaVXfPV.jpg

3MdF8VG.jpg

If the liner is original to the shell then I would guess 50’s era but the markings look really new and fresh if you have a picture closer to the markings that would help.

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burning Hazard

I like what I see, any more pictures of the helmet, particularly the markings?

The pouches look like British/Canadian P37 and the leather liner chinstrap might be an Euro Clone.

Pat

If the liner is original to the shell then I would guess 50’s era but the markings look really new and fresh if you have a picture closer to the markings that would help.

Hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks,

I don't have any more pictures. I saw the helmet for sale locally. The seller is asking $125

Thanks,

I don't have any more pictures. I saw the helmet for sale locally. The seller is asking $125

If the markings are original then its definitly worth it.

Hunt

This is tricky for me because I've never gotten into collecting helmets. Basically for the same reason I don't buy K98s. There is just so much to know, so many details, so many fakes. I've read a bunch of threads in this forum over the years and have been awed at the amount of info and nuance you helmet guys know so you don't get burned.

if I go over to take a look at it, what should I look for? I know for a ww2 the seam should be in the front it should have fixed bails, and that's about it.

This is tricky for me because I've never gotten into collecting helmets. Basically for the same reason I don't buy K98s. There is just so much to know, so many details, so many fakes. I've read a bunch of threads in this forum over the years and have been awed at the amount of info and nuance you helmet guys know so you don't get burned.

if I go over to take a look at it, what should I look for? I know for a ww2 the seam should be in the front it should have fixed bails, and that's about it.

Not neccesarily, Front seam and fixed bailed helmets are the earliest version of the M1. Front seam with swivel bails was introduced in 1943, and rear seam swivel bails were introduced in late 1944. In my opinion the most common ww2 m1 you see on ebay is front seam swivel bail although fixed bails are worth more and are more sought after. When you look at the helmet look at the markings closely and look for things like paint cracks and scratches, as well as rust going over the markings. Without a name or other definitive proof it is almost impossible to know 100% that the helmet is original with markings. Looking at the markings under a microscope can also help you determine if the markings are original. To be honest though $125 aint bad for the helmet without the markings, so if you end up buying it and it seems like the markings aren't original, you are only really loosing $20 or $30 dollars.

Hunt

Burning Hazard

When you have it in hand, take a good look at the MP markings and the side 9th air force insignia. See if it looks fresh or not, look for regular wear on the insignia (tiny cracking in the paint), also see if it's been smeared with anything. Use your best judgement, if your gut tells you something is off then go with that initial thought rather than overthink it.

From here, the helmet looks like a WW2 produced front seam swivel bail that's been re-purposed into 50's and 60's, very common to see this.

If original, I'd take it in a heartbeat for $125.

Pat