Reproduction Mark 2 leather sheaths

DRE66

Dre66 that is outstanding work. You could turn it into a business!

Ronnie

Yes he could.However there goes all the fun. I am a very good antique motorcycle restorer.I would never do it as a business as it would suck all the pleasure and freedom out of it.Besides I hate deadlines and disappointing people.It's an individual decision.

As John Wayne would say."A man needs to know his limitations." ;)

Well I think that was Clint Eastwood, as Harry Callahan. :) Back to topic, While we are very interested in these I've found that it's a very vertical market place. I've run across a couple of people who have attempted to market reproductions of different WW2 era sheaths that made some very nice products but both have gone away from it as it just wasn't profitable. Still many of the sheaths from that era are very simple, that's both good and bad. Good in that if you pay attention to detail making an acceptable copy isn't unreasonably hard. It's bad in that most people respond to sticker shock when they see what the cost in labor and material really is in today's world. So why pay so much for something so plain?

Right now it's easier to find a good copy of an M6 sheath than it is one for the 1219C2 knives. IMHO, it's because people are willing to pay more for it.

Excellent work! I have thought about trying to make a sheath, but I have neither the time or talent. Your Kabar sheaths are almost exactly what I planned to try too, pilot's survival knife sheaths.

attachicon.gifpilots knife sheath drawing.jpg

I took a shot at the sheath from the blueprint. I don't have the knife but have its older brother:

post-143623-0-39355700-1508568371.jpg

post-143623-0-19243900-1508568445_thumb.jpg

I get the feeling your going to have to keep track of your mail box more often now so it doesn't fill up. You've got a good eye, hope you keep enjoying it. Maybe this is the inspiration I need to clear away a couple of other projects. :)

I get the feeling your going to have to keep track of your mail box more often now so it doesn't fill up. You've got a good eye, hope you keep enjoying it. Maybe this is the inspiration I need to clear away a couple of other projects. :)

Thanks Sactroop. They really are a labor of love and a lot less expensive than the watch faze I went through. ?

Again, I wish I had your talent and skill! That's great work!

Incidentally, I have the knife but no scabbard...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/296037-schrade-walden-knife-issue-or-civilian/

Your Schrade looks good in the JPK sheath. You could make the knife look almost brand new if you wanted to spend some time on it. Many older knives are more desirable (valuable) if you never touch them. But if you want to keep it and restore it to its former glory, it would make a good project/hobby project.

Well I think that was Clint Eastwood, as Harry Callahan. :) Back to topic, While we are very interested in these I've found that it's a very vertical market place. I've run across a couple of people who have attempted to market reproductions of different WW2 era sheaths that made some very nice products but both have gone away from it as it just wasn't profitable. Still many of the sheaths from that era are very simple, that's both good and bad. Good in that if you pay attention to detail making an acceptable copy isn't unreasonably hard. It's bad in that most people respond to sticker shock when they see what the cost in labor and material really is in today's world. So why pay so much for something so plain?

Right now it's easier to find a good copy of an M6 sheath than it is one for the 1219C2 knives. IMHO, it's because people are willing to pay more for it.

Actually I was referring to custom Sheaths in general. I believe he could do a good enough job and make money. Some people are more than willing to pay for quality work....I am.

Ronnie

Ronnie I agree that there are people who will consider the cost of their own time and balance that against the price asked by someone producing a good product. I also agree that DRE66's work looks to be quite marketable.

• 4 weeks later...

I made another repro sheath, this time chose the SOG Bowie knife. Its close but obvious to a true collector. I like the look of the "SOG Bowie" sheaths as there were many variations.

post-143623-0-96583700-1510616536_thumb.jpg