Proper USN WW1 Victory Medal Clasp Question

dpast32

Hello Folks, I've been digging through some of my stored medal groups recently, as I ponder the thought of perhaps parting with a few of the one's that don't fall into my primary focus. I came across a group that includes a WW1 issue USN Victory Medal, with an 'OVERSEAS' clasp, & wish to solicit some opinions as to if it is the proper / correct clasp that 'should have' been presented with the medal ? Now, be advised that I have no reason at all to suspect that it's not the original clasp that was affixed to it when presented to it's recipient, but upon a bit of 're' researching this group, I realized that this particular Sailor may have been entitled to one other clasp also. So, I'd truly appreciate any ideas or comments anyone may be kind enough to share with me. OK, here we go; The recipient was an USNRF Sailor, with a duty rating of 'CM2', which I believe refers to a Carpenter's Mate 2nd Class. He served from 12-11-1917 to 02-10-1919. His 3 primary duty stations / assignments that I believe would have qualified him for his Victory Medal clasp were as follows; 1) USN HQ, London, UK from 01-26-1918 to 02-23-1918 2) USN / NAS, Queenstown, Ireland from 02-23-1918 to 03-11-1918 3) USN / NAS, Whiddy, Ireland from 03-11-1918 to 11-11-1918. ( NAS Whiddy, refers to Whiddy Island ) So, based upon his duty postings as noted above, I fully feel that the clasp "Overseas" would have been authorized, but, based upon his serving primarily at USN Air Stations, wouldn't the "Aviation" clasp also have been authorized, or was that reserved for only men engaged in actual aviation related duties ? So, based upon my guy's rating of CM2, which clasp would have been the more appropriate choice, OVERSEAS, -or- AVIATION ? Now again, I have NO REASON to suspect his Overseas clasp as being incorrect, but I really would feel better with some input from my fellow USMF Members ! THANK YOU Guys

Best regards, dpast32

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Dom,

You've probably consulted the USN General Orders in regard to awards for this period, but here's a reference link with the complete instruction https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/Awards/Awards-IV.html

The WWI USN Victory Medal eligibility in the manual is based upon N. D. G. O. No. 482 of 30 July 1919

As you may know, only one clasp may be worn on a USN Victory Medal so even if a sailor qualified for two or more, only one clasp may be attached.

In regard to the AVIATION clasp, rule (e.) applies:

e. Patrol - For service on the high seas on such duty east of the thirty-seventh meridian and north of the Equator, between 6 April 1917, and 11 November 1918, and on the high seas of the Atlantic Ocean north of the Equator between 25 May 1918, and 11 November 1918.
f. Submarine - Same as (e) above.
g. Destroyer - Same as (e) above.
h. Aviation - Same as (e) above.

As it appears to me, your sailor was attached to a ground installation, granted an air station, but was not an aircrewman or member of an active wartime 'patrol' so I doubt he would qualify for the Aviation clasp, only the Overseas clasp. Were he assigned to an air squadron or flight, rather than the ground station, he may have qualified.

p. Overseas - For service on shore in allied or enemy countries of Europe from 6 April 1917, to 11 November 1918.

Someone else may have more specific knowledge of the Aviation clasp as it was awarded, but that's my interpretation of the G.O. There ya go.....

THANK YOU Salvage, I appreciate your kind assistance very much. And yes, I've been through all the relevant G.O.'s, as that's the best place to start the search. I really never thought about the included clasp being in any way incorrect. I've had this group for a while now, & the only reason I even thought about the Victory's clasp was because I happened across an 'Aviation' clasp for sale recently, & it started me thinking. Even though after I thought about it somemore, I came to the same conclusion that you did, yes, the Overseas bar was most likely the original. I just felt that some collective verification might be in order, just to reinforce my decision. THANKS again for your reply.

Best, dpast32