Does anyone here collect vintage militaria cards?

zsmith

I collect vintage sports and non-sports cards in addition to militaria. Some of the non-sports cards feature military themes. Two of the sets I've been working on are 1941 War Gum (132 cards and I'm about 75% complete) and 1915 T121 Sweet Caporal WWI Scenes (250 cards and I'm about 85% complete). There are various sets that came in tobacco packs, candy, and gum. I was just curious if anyone else here collected these?

Some of my T121s:

post-109234-0-84814200-1508180375.jpg

Some of my duplicate T121 and 1941 War Gum cards:

post-109234-0-47961500-1508180429.jpg

Patchcollector

They are neat items to collect but I don't have many of them.I have a few sets that I saw on eBay,liked them,and picked them up.I was surprised how reasonably priced a full set from the 1920's-40's was(although I realize that some are far more expensive than others).The artwork on the cards is usually very good quality,having that "old timey" look to them.I've got mine stashed away somewhere,but IIRC,mine are from Britain.

BILL THE PATCH

As a kid I used to have some civil war cards, and the artwork was very cool. Like patch collector said, old timey look

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I have a couple of British non-sports sets... not military related though. The British sets are usually pretty cheap. The T121 WWI Scenes cards can usually be found for less than $1 each depending on condition. I picked up most of mine in lots which helps reduce cost. The R164 War Gum cards are a little more but still not that bad if bought in lots. There are a couple of sets like Horrors of War that command a premium.

The T121 set was made from actual photographs taken by American photographers prior to the US entry into WWI. The War Gum cards are artwork. You are right about the quality of the artwork on many of these sets.