8th AAF Grouping - Garbage save !

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

A guy found this at the curb ready to be picked up by the garbage collectors . Sent me pics a while back and was able to finally get it home (it came out of West Virginia) . Pretty amazing stuff ! That Airborne bandage pouch was a nice surprise mixed in with it !

Hope you guys enjoy Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AMAZING! Fantastic save! Makes one wonder how much stuff like this isn't found at the curb and now resides in the local garbage dump. Now you can keep SSgt Shook's memory alive a little longer. Look forward to your research findings. Bobgee

Salvage Sailor

I'd wager that Fred Shook was a "Togglier" and those may be his souvenir toggle switches

I'd wager that Fred Shook was a "Togglier" and those may be his souvenir toggle switches

Ironically they appear to be detonators for booby traps / mines or similar applications - handle with care as they may still be live!

Salvage Sailor

Ironically they appear to be detonators for booby traps / mines or similar applications - handle with care as they may still be live!

one (with the safety pin) looked like a detonator to me, but I wasn't sure about the other one

Robswashashore

Wow. Hard to believe anyone would put beautiful things like that out at the curb... It's good that this history was saved.

That's a great save. The whole grouping paints a picture of the gunner/togglier side of his history and you have his watch as well!