101 ID'ED ike

Costa

just won this off ebay at a very high price which is no surprise. it is fully named and asn'ed. a few years back there was an 83 nd glider trooper ike which cost me a bit more then this 1 and was lucky enough to get his full record. the vet who's name is on this ike passed in 1968.

post-73-0-96698600-1507919222_thumb.jpg

$1300 for a HQ Co guy? I could see if it was from one of the infantry units with some paperwork but this was way over the top. Nice ike but wow.

well, you only live once so enjoy it. how often do you see un-messed with airborne jackets that are fully named and serial numbered? it is a good sum but, this is what I do and I love it. at my age and my condition I buy what I like. it is coming down to a fact that storage space is now at a minimum and I have been thinking quite a bit about selling much of what I have to lighten the load. I have over 50 plus years of gi ww2 and believe me I don't want to burden my wife or kids with this should my ticket get punched. in my eyes I am buying history, very possibly the most important part of history in our time. collecting, preserving, and finding info of the vets to go along with items is a thrill in itself. sure it is a lot to pay but, there were 2 other bidders right up there with me. this ww2 stuff is not as plentiful as it was 30-40 years ago. the days of cheap are for the most part over. you want -- you pay.

TheMinistryOfAviation

Thrilled that you got this one! And agree completely with your sentiment on not being as worried with the price when it comes to non-messed with, named items. There's just becoming too rare.

-Jeremy

Captainofthe7th

Nice one, costa. Yea, the price is high, but you're right, if you want it, you pay for it. I've overpaid for 'common' items because I think a solid 'common' identified piece is sometimes more difficult to find. If you're comfortable with the price then what does it matter? It would be nice to get documentation with it, but you know what? To get that from someone at the archives is a small price to pay to add more value to this uniform.

Some HQ guys had very interesting responsibilities.

Rob

Nice Ike. People here have been known to say you didn't pay too much, you just bought it a little early. I agree that you have to buy it when you see it or you may never get another chance.

well, you only live once so enjoy it. how often do you see un-messed with airborne jackets that are fully named and serial numbered? it is a good sum but, this is what I do and I love it. at my age and my condition I buy what I like. it is coming down to a fact that storage space is now at a minimum and I have been thinking quite a bit about selling much of what I have to lighten the load. I have over 50 plus years of gi ww2 and believe me I don't want to burden my wife or kids with this should my ticket get punched. in my eyes I am buying history, very possibly the most important part of history in our time. collecting, preserving, and finding info of the vets to go along with items is a thrill in itself. sure it is a lot to pay but, there were 2 other bidders right up there with me. this ww2 stuff is not as plentiful as it was 30-40 years ago. the days of cheap are for the most part over. you want -- you pay.

Couldn't agree with you more. Congratulations and enjoy!