• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ww2guymandude

ww2guymandude
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 171,836
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

Got this off of eBay earlier today for a seemingly good price, however the insignia on this jacket is quite confusing to me. If anyone could explain the SSI and how/why the wings are on it, that would be much appreciated.

-Evan

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:18 PM

His current unit was XVth Corps, as a member of the Army Reserves.  During WW2, he served in the Pacific/Philippines as part of the IXth Corps.   The Army Aviator wing is not unusual.. No doubt went to flight school while in the Reserves (based on the Army Reserve Ribbon, he spent at least 10 years in the Army Reserves).  

Unusual a state-side LTC would have such sloppy ribbon bars (i.e. individually pinned on, not on 3 place slider-on bars), but the ribbons he has totally make sense (and I don't think it's a "put together").  I also initially wondered why he didn't have a National Defense Ribbon, but apparently after WW2, he didn't see Federal Service during the time he could have qualified for that medal.  

#3 ww2guymandude

ww2guymandude
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 171,836
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

Ah okay, the ribbon bars and wings were the two things that were really bothering me. Thank you for the thorough response and explanation! (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 KurtA

KurtA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 322
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:48 PM

No problem.  I think it's as-worn in the late 1950's or so.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)