F105 Thunderchief promotional model

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

The U.S. Air Force F-105 Thunderchief became operational in 1959, replacing the Republic F-84F, and was the primary strike fighter jet by 1961. The best-known service version, the F-105D, known as the "Thud", was used extensively in Vietnam as a bomber, carrying 50% more bomb load than the WWII B-17.

This all-metal model depicts the F105B and was contracted through Air-Parts International, a Dutch supplier firm, and carries a label which specifies that it was "Modeled by M.M. Verkuyl (Matthys M. Verkuyl, Badhoevedarp) Holland The Hague". Only a modest number of these models were produced for Republic Aviation (taken over by Fairchild-Hiller in 1965) There are variations on the base name plate. This model should not be confused with a similar model with a plastic canopy and a two-piece base was made by Topping. The tail serial number markings represent a 1954 contract, hence the "4" and the first batch had serial numbers from 100 to 112, hence the "0105", putting this model chronologically around 1958 or so.
Maarten Matthys Verkuyl - Badhoevedorp, The Netherlands
Promotional contractor aircraft scale models
Within the group of Promotional Contract Aircraft scale model makers, one of the most well-known is Maarten Matthijs (Thijs) Verkuyl. After WWII, model production became more professional and with assistance from Fokker, Matthijs Verkuyl started his company. His early models were all made of zinc sheet-metal, which was shaped into exact scale-replicas of the original aircraft thanks to Thijs' superb craftmanship.

Matthijs Verkuyl made this beautiful model of the Republic USAF F-105 Thunderchief "Thud" for the Fairchild Hiller Corporation (formerly Republic Aviation) in scale 1/50. The model was produced in aluminum. Verkuyl's F-105 model was given to every pilot flying the F-105 and at special occasions to high-ranking USAF officers or other VIPs from between 1965, when Fairchild - Hiller took over Republic Aviation, and August 1969. The text "Air Parts International, modelled by M.M. Verkuyl, Holland, The Hague" is found on the underside of the tailfin.

Purchased from the grandson, note the name of the pilot neatly added to the fuselage below the canopy!

post-93-0-08621600-1507750401_thumb.jpg

post-93-0-40151700-1507750433.jpg

Charlie Flick

I like that. The quality is very evident. It would look good sitting on my desk.

I also found interesting the history of the company making the models.

Thanks for an informative post.

Regards,

Charlie

You mentioned the F-84-F as the predecessor of the F-105. Here's an all metal model I've had for over 40 years and was always confused by the designation on the base. The Thunderjet had straight wings and this has swept wings so I'm assuming that this is a F-84F Thunderstreak with the wrong base. But a great model anyway.

post-13070-0-33040100-1508593953.jpeg

post-13070-0-80319900-1508593965.jpeg

wartimecollectables.com

You mentioned the F-84-F as the predecessor of the F-105. Here's an all metal model I've had for over 40 years and was always confused by the designation on the base. The Thunderjet had straight wings and this has swept wings so I'm assuming that this is a F-84F Thunderstreak with the wrong base. But a great model anyway.

I love it! No maker marks anywhere?