1st/103rd ID, 18th Inf. Regiment grouping

ww2guymandude

ww2guymandude

Just wanted to quickly share a small grouping that I purchased off of ebay about a week ago. Unfortunately none of the articles of clothing are named or have any source of identification. I’m also confused as to what infantry division this veteran served in during WW2 as the fourragere on the uniform would correspond with both the 103rd and 1st ID’s area of operations I believe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a very interesting uniform and a real puzzler! The chevrons date this uniform to the post WWII timeframe where the army went to the small "atomic army" chevrons. These chevrons came out in 1948 and were worn until 1951 so we can easily narrow down the time when this uniform combination was worn. The puzzler is that the 103rd Infantry Division was deactivated in 1945, so I can't see why this uniform would even exist in this configuration.

My thought is that the veteran served in combat with the 103rd Division and then transferred to the 1st Infantry Division as part of the occupation forces in Europe. The French and Belgian fourrageres to the Croix de Guerre would have been worn by a member of the 1st Infantry Division's 18th Infantry Regiment as the 103rd Infantry Division did not earn either of these awards. The 18th later earned the French fourragere to the Medalle Militarie, but that one isn't on your uniform. The DUIs of the 18th Infantry regiment are classic, German-made pieces. The collar brass worn in pairs is also correct for the post WWII era. My thought is that the patches were just sewn onto the wrong shoulders when the soldier went home.

Allan

The 103rd Infantry Division was reactivated in May 1947 in the Reserves, so maybe worn then in the late 40s into early 50s by this guy, a reservist? The 18th Inf DIs and ropes were part of the little group and just thrown on?, with him going home in 45 and never yet receiving the Medalle Militarie Fourragere? These of course the Khaki shirt, worn post 1947, along with the small chevrons, which Allan pointed out came out in the late 40s too

What is odd is a uniform worn in 1947 or after to be missing the WWII Victory and Occupation ribbons. If the vet was in the 18th Infantry Regiment when the fourrageres were earned, he can wear them in perpetuity.

Allan

What is odd is a uniform worn in 1947 or after to be missing the WWII Victory and Occupation ribbons. If the vet was in the 18th Infantry Regiment when the fourrageres were earned, he can wear them in perpetuity.

Allan

Yes that's right. I think here is the group insignia idea, a bunch of stuff laying around from this guy, who maybe indeed was a reservist post war 40s-early 50s, the post war ribbons went somewhere else?

I believe the 103rd became a reserve division in 1947, so the uniform may have belonged to a WWII 1st ID vet that joined the reserves in the late 40s. This would also match the chevron style. Just a thought