1911 Officer or Enlisted

Retired Army Noncom

Retired Army Noncom

Looks like a wool tunic and I lightened it a lot to see the shape of crossed sabers with rimless buttons and stand collar, Regt or troop is not possible nor any cuff braid.....am I correct to assume this is an officer? It came with another photo, Christmas 1911.

Thanks

post-169486-0-22597200-1507690861_thumb.jpg

VolunteerArmoury

Could be a Private or a 2LT. Prior to Dec. 1912 2LTs has no rank insignia. The disks weren’t an issued thing till 1910 or 11 (initially worn as a pair of each). Check out Bill Emerson’s book, “Encyclopedia of United States Army Insignia and Uniforms.”

Given the height of the collar, I think a 2LT also. Am debating whether this is am M1902 type stand / fall collar or straight standing M1911. EMs started wearing discs in 1909.

G

Retired Army Noncom

Given the height of the collar, I think a 2LT also. Am debating whether this is am M1902 type stand / fall collar or straight standing M1911. EMs started wearing discs in 1909.

G

I agree about the collar, it looks rather 'chunky' at the bottom and left collar bottom corner looks as if there is a seperation between the fall front to the back stand. As I said though, another photo accompanying this photo is dated Christmas 1911 and it looks like a get together for the regimental officers and NCOs.

Ed

I guess I'm leaning towards an enlisted man. I don't see an officer bar on his lapel plus the cut of his uniform looks like the type issued to enlisted, not something worn by an officer.

Kim