Age of this Aviation Machinists Mate rate?

MattS

Thanks guys! I have this uniform and didn't know what era it was from. So it sounds like it's safe to say he was probably a WW2 veteran who served into the 50s.

post-32676-0-10655000-1507662971_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys! I have this uniform and didn't know what era it was from. So it sounds like it's safe to say he was probably a WW2 veteran who served into the 50s.

Coat 1.jpg

. Maybe. There was no "Drop Dead Date" on insignia. I found "Applied Chevron" insignia for sale in the Exchange in the 1980s. Just because a new "Pattern" comes out, the old stuff is not automatically tossed. Often, it is also handed down. Interestingly, Sailors rarely notice when new stuff comes out. When the Navy adopted that awful "Fat Parrot" crow in 1984, most didn't notice. I thought it was some foreign made crap ( we got lots of that in ships off base and in Orr cities).

Without a name, you will never know for sure.

Good points, thanks Sigs! This is heavy wool and not polyester if that helps to date it. The jacket and matching trousers probably weigh 8 pounds!

Good points, thanks Sigs! This is heavy wool and not polyester if that helps to date it. The jacket and matching trousers probably weigh 8 pounds!

. They were issuing 100% wool coat and tie uniforms of this style and heavy in 1975. I purchased one as I had to. Hung onto it for years, and when I made Chief, I converted it over and wore it during the winter in Great Lakes and Norfolk. When I retired in 1999, I passed it on to another guy. As far as I know, it's still serving on.

That's the nice thing about not changing uniform styles every 5 years, you can use old stock and pass it down when you're done. We didn't have that option in the army. Too many changes.