US Navy silver half wing........

Flightpath

Hi,

I have just taken delivery of this early US Navy sterling marked half wing.

Cliff Presley has a gold plated version of this same wing on Bob's site marked B.B&B. Cliff told me that the silver half wings were worn by enlisted seaplane flight crew from August 1919 and was later issued to enlisted balloon/airship pilots from 20th September 1922. He believes that this silver wing was also made by B,B&B.

Here is a link to the gold half wing on Bob's site.......

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/wwi/us/usnavy.shtml

I'd really like to see a photo of an enlisted man wearing this silver half wing, and find more information on these interesting wings..... all posters very welcome.

cheers, John

post-105780-0-13917400-1507648484_thumb.jpg

John,

Please go back and review our Private Messages. Yes, the silver half-wings were worn by enlisted seaplane flight crew from August 1919, and from 20 September 1922 to enlisted balloon pilots; however, I never once said they were issued to enlisted airship pilots.

Cliff ;)

John,

Please go back and review our Private Messages. Yes, the silver half-wings were worn by enlisted seaplane flight crew from August 1919, and from 20 September 1922 to enlisted balloon pilots; however, I never once said they were issued to enlisted airship pilots.

Cliff ;)

Thanks Cliff!

I was just reading about USN kite balloons and their poor pilots during WW1, being towed above a destroyer all day long on convoy duty in all sorts of weather.... not a very nice job!

I wonder if these silver half wings were not only used by seaplane aircrew-mechanics but also airship aircrew-mechanics?

Cheers, John